Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckered quilting >

Puckered quilting

Puckered quilting

Old 12-10-2019, 08:13 AM

Default Puckered quilting

Hi. I知 new here, but I知 an old hand hat quilting. My problem is my quilts always pucker along the stitching lines after I wash them. I use all cotton fabrics which I prewash in cold water. I wash them in cold water in a large capacity, front loading commercial washer and let them air dry. I also use cotton batting and have tried all types of thread. They come out of the washer puckered. I have tried everything I can think of including loosening and tightening the fabric tension on both the top and backing And anything else I could think of. This happens no matter the backing type. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I mean, it痴 great if I want an antique look, but I don稚 always. Anyway, I have run on too long so thank you in advance
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Some 'puckering' is to be expected after you wash a quilt. Much depends on how closely you quilt your quilt. The closer the less noticeable the puckering. Pressing your quilt afterwards will also take down some of the normal puckering. I am sure others here will have some good advice on how to get a better handle on your concern.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM

I think the material and batting are shrinking because you are pre washing with cold water and line drying. The idea is to shrink the material before cutting so use warm or hot water. I know there is a way to pre shrink your batting but I've never done it because I like the bit of wrinkle afterwards.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 AM

To eliminate shrinking you need to prewash in hot water. Quilters Dream makes a fantastic cotton batting for hand quilting. The Request weight is recommended. Look for it at your local quilt store or online.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
I think the material and batting are shrinking because you are pre washing with cold water and line drying. The idea is to shrink the material before cutting so use warm or hot water. I know there is a way to pre shrink your batting but I've never done it because I like the bit of wrinkle afterwards.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I guess I stated something badly. I do dry the prewashed fabrics in the dryer. I only air dry the quilts after they are finished. I never used hot water to wash because I use a lot of dark and jewel tones fabrics and I aways worried they would run and/or wash out and fade.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Cotton batts shrink more then 80/20. You can take the quilt when it is still damp and block it after washing to reduce the wrinkles.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board.

You need to preshrink your batting as well if you don't want any puckers at all. Read this blog by the late, great Sue Garman. http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2013/03/

Additionally one hot water wash to preshrink your fabrics won't fade them as long as they are good quality fabrics. And a hot water wash will go a lot further for releasing any excess dye that may be in the fabric than cold.

If you don't want any puckering in your finished washed quilts prewash/preshrink all your fabrics, top and backing fabrics in hot water and tumble in dryer. Preshrink your batting as per the blog link I provided. (also in hot water and tumble dry until almost dry)

Once you wash your completed quilt in cold water block it as Tartan mentions. This means drying flat stretched out and held in place with pins, lots and lots of pins.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

She says she even washes "scraps" and "quilt kits" !!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 12-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Missouri.