Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL2010Q help please with fmq >

Juki TL2010Q help please with fmq

Juki TL2010Q help please with fmq

Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Unhappy Juki TL2010Q help please with fmq

This is my first time at trying fmq with my Juki. I am not unfamiliar with the process....just doing it with this machine. When I've fmq'd on another machine my free motion foot just skims my work when the presser foot is down. Now using the fm feet that came with my Juki the same happens when I am doing my practice sandwich but my actual project is an appliqued top which is thicker and the foot is firmly down on the work. How do I raise the foot so I can glide it as I sew? Can I raise the foot a bit to accomodate the extra thickness? The manual is no help to me and I can't seem to find anything on the internet either.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 PM

Okay, woops, I was wrong....it's immovable on my unappliqued areas too. Now I'm really confused and grumpy!!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 AM

Look in your owners manual for presser bar settings..I believe it's the knob at the top of your machine, but I am not familiar with your specific machine. If you get it where you want it and find you are skipping stitches,lower your foot a bit.This is a video on how it's done on a Juki..even if not the same model..the steps are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUqQZIoHUM
Old 12-10-2019, 03:45 AM

Are you using the hopping foot? There are two with the Juki2010, one has a wider ring around the needle area. I preferthe one with the narrow ring. Feed dogs down and hopping foot should accommodate thickness of the sandwich.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:30 AM

There is a knob above that raises and lowers the pressure on the foot. Look in the manual.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Confession time...all sorted.
Yes, I read the manual, and yes I lowered the pressure on the presser foot but what I didn't realise is that once I would actually start sewing the fabric would move easily. I just wasn't used to the fact that the foot seemed so firm on the work when it wasn't operating. With my other machines the work slides freely under the foot even when I am not actually sewing..with this machine and foot it is apparently different.
Thankyou everyone.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
I just wasn't used to the fact that the foot seemed so firm on the work when it wasn't operating.
Many hopping feet also have a screw on them that adjusts the height above the fabric as well. You might look to see if yours has that. Too low and the foot can drag, too high and the needle may deflect and shred the thread or give you bad stitching. It's a balance
Old 12-10-2019, 05:20 PM

There is a knob on Top of the machine on the left side. Turning it to the Left releases the pressure. Might work. Drop the feed dogs too.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
There is a knob on Top of the machine on the left side. Turning it to the Left releases the pressure. Might work. Drop the feed dogs too.
Yes, I know all that but thankyou anyway.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Happy Sewing! Love my Juki, it's the only machine I would have to replace immediately if something happened.