Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Fabric Question >

Quilt Fabric Question

Quilt Fabric Question

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Just printed it off. Couldn't use the 'printer friendly' version, said it was not found, so just printed it off with all the extra advertisements (which I hate!). I plan on adding borders to it also since I don't want a square. Good luck. Someone has got to be a whole lot better at math than I am.
Wendy B
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Wow! I'll be impressed if someone is able to figure that out for you!

What I would probably do is calculate what percentage bigger the queen is (say, 30% bigger overall?), then purchase even more of each yardage (say, 40-50%). The leftovers would go into a stash.
Ditto. Fuzzy math all the way :)
Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM

nice pattern, it's on my to do list
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Nice quilt, It depends on how large you are doing your borders and are you going to add more stair steps and cats. If so I would add 2/3 more fabric to each.

Cookie
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Not only do you need to make it bigger on two sides, bu you need to figure out how big you want the picture compared to the borders. If you can get the 64x64" pattern (or even the original size, plue borders, so that the design in the middle won't hang over the sides), that would probably best for a queen bed, as the mattress size is 60x80. Then you need to figure out how big you want it (86x93 you said?) and what borders and how many you need to add to turn it into what you want.

I would make the mattress size be the middle (with added squares on top and bottom), then add borders to make it big enough to be slept under.

Sorry, I know some of the is jumbled, I was jumping around in my post trying to clarify, and I think I made it worse!

Anyway, good luck!
Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ladygen
Not only do you need to make it bigger on two sides, bu you need to figure out how big you want the picture compared to the borders. If you can get the 64x64" pattern (or even the original size, plue borders, so that the design in the middle won't hang over the sides), that would probably best for a queen bed, as the mattress size is 60x80. Then you need to figure out how big you want it (86x93 you said?) and what borders and how many you need to add to turn it into what you want.

I would make the mattress size be the middle (with added squares on top and bottom), then add borders to make it big enough to be slept under.

Sorry, I know some of the is jumbled, I was jumping around in my post trying to clarify, and I think I made it worse!

Anyway, good luck!
Haha, It's alright! I think I have the gist of it! I'm going to draw up the differences that I want to make...

Where can I get the bigger pattern?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Couldn't tell you where, but I saw in one of the links that it was an enlarged pattern (64 and 72, I thought). I think I would just do the size you have and enhance from there. Then most of your measurements can stay the same, and just add on.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by mosquitosewgirl
Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by ghostrider
You're trying to turn a square into a rectangle without explaining what you plan to add to make it so. In other words, you need more of something on two sides to make it into a rectangle.
Good point... lol I didn't even think of that! I'll show you the version of the quilt I found to show what I want with the quilt... I should have explain that! sorry!

I do want a border on it...
Where did you get the pattern? There have been several of us looking for the Cat Stairway to Heaven pattern.
Here it is:

Stairway to Cat Heaven
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22556[/ATTACH]

PDF
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22557[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-22556.zip (85.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf
Attachment-22557.pdf (16.3 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 AM

Got it! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM

Work with the person who is going to create it for you. He or she will definitely have some opinions and need some input on amounts of fabric to do the cutting andd sewing in a good way. Will also probably have some good ideas about enlarging it to the size and shape that you want. If someone wanted me to do this (I want this quilt, but I want it to be a different size and shape) I would definitely want to have input!!!!