Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Have you tried...... >
  • Have you tried......

• Have you tried......

Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 AM

I got some at Meyer..so delicious! By the way, I love cooked apples so I peeled two and put a little water and some pumpkin pie spice in the pan. I steamed them and they were wonderful. No sugar was needed at all!
    Old 12-14-2019, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Our local store Fred Meyer had them at $1.59lb. I had to have them so I bought 4..lol cost me $3.00 and some change I think.
    FM is a great place to buy produce. We miss it. When I buy apples here (FL), I have learned to keep the receipt as often they are slightly brown all the way through before we get them. ! I do miss the apples of WA state where they are so fresh.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-14-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 12-14-2019, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

Haven't seen those. I usually buy Gala, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp. We have 1/2 an apple 5 days a week with breakfast.
    Old 12-15-2019, 06:17 AM

I love Honey Crisp apples. The produce manager at HEB happen to be slicing a Cosmic Crisp and handed me a slice! They are similar to Honey Crisps, but a little less tart. Bought them, too.
    Old 12-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Heard an ad on the radio that the Cosmic Crisps were on sale at one of the local chains for $1.99 a pound which I am willing to pay. Hubby used it as an excuse to "take the dog for a walk" and I'm sure there was a stop to the olive bar in that store he didn't mention.

I've been straying from my eating plan, but when I'm eating "properly", I have half an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter at the end of the day. It's lovely, and these are lovely apples.
    Old 12-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Can't believe how expensive the "new" types of apples are. Opals and Cosmics were $3.96 per pound at my local Walmart last week.
    Old 12-18-2019, 03:25 PM

I love the Opals too and heartily recommend them. A bit sweeter and different flesh than the Cosmic Crisp or the Honey Crisp but a lovely yellow apple with flavor.

But yeah, I live in Washington State, we grow them here! Actually, a lot of apples are grown in other parts of the world now, that's why we can have the variety we have year round now. So yeah... I live in Washington State and I'm cheap, that's the real thing. I just can't buy a $2.99+/pound apple that's probably 10-12 oz. I did try that first Cosmic Crisp at $3.49/pound I think it was and it was almost a $3.00 apple.

When my farmer's market is operational, I do buy local and seasonal, I still try to do so at the supermarket. But most of my produce I get is salad mix at Costco and the bulk of my fresh produce comes from my local bargain level market and are mostly considered "seconds". Not all the apples are the same size or maybe the right size but wrong shape or there may be a leaf mark or other blemish. Nutritionally, no difference. Price wise? Usually more like $1.99 or less than 2.99 per pound or more.
    Old 12-18-2019, 03:45 PM
    Power Poster

My new favorite apple is Jazz. It's hard to find though. The produce manager told me it didn't sell enough because it cost more per lb then the other apples. Well there is a reason, it's delicious! If I can't find Jazz I buy Fugi. I'll look for the Cosmic Crisp.
    Old 12-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Most apple are very expensive, but of course i love try new one!
    Old 12-20-2019, 03:19 PM

My favorite apple is Ambrosia. It's crisp, juicy, sweet sort of honey flavor, low acid, slow to brown once cut & keeps forever in the frig.