Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with 60 random 2 1/2 x wof strips? >

What to do with 60 random 2 1/2 x wof strips?

What to do with 60 random 2 1/2 x wof strips?

Old 12-20-2019, 06:47 AM

You could do a scrappy log cabin, or court house steps.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:10 AM

That is a nice find Iceblossom.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Here's Emma's Star more scrappy, though it has a consistent RWB theme as it was a Quilt of Valor. [ATTACH=CONFIG]621089[/ATTACH]
I really like your Emma's star quilt and love the RWB colors. I have seen a few quilts made in that pattern and they all look so different with the different fabrics.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting
Old 12-20-2019, 07:26 AM

The funny thing about that thrift store top is I have many of the fabrics in it -- including the bright yellow with mushrooms that was early 70s (look towards the bottom right)... I actually have that one in two colorways! Yellow background as well as red. Looking at it some more, I think I will add 2-2 more rows to make it more rectangular. It will still be a little short for a twin quilt but close.

The point was, though, sometimes you just throw everything together and it all works out. Scale, theme, etc. not so important in some ways. It's easier for me (at least) to go hog wild with something I'm not sure of with gifted fabric!

Scrappy is hard on many of us for many reasons. I went for a long time without appreciating scrap quilts, most of which I had seen were "use" quilts and just plain ugly. When Judy Martin came out with her book Scrap Quilts, it changed my view and at this point of my life, most of my quilts are scrappy in some way. The directions are outdated now, but the projects pictures and discussions are still valuable.
https://www.amazon.com/Scrap-Quilts-.../dp/096029709X

This year I've been pushing myself to accept that scrappy happens and to just let it happen. It is not natural to my normal control freak style of quilting where each fabric is carefully placed and cut to best effect. I did a couple of quilts this past year from a box of pre-cut squares that was given to me, part of that exercise was to use the difficult fabrics. The real purpose was for me to let go a bit.

This one was with Juvenile Prints:
2019 Fabric Moratorium
I got lost a couple of times with this project, reminded myself that it was not about making the best ever juvenile top, it was about using up fabric. Went back to the brighter "adult" prints and I don't think they stand out.

Then this one is a real mix of stuff. I don't think it is so easily appreciated, but I like it and that is what counts
2019 Fabric Moratorium
Old 12-20-2019, 09:47 AM

First thing that came to mind is a 3 strip split rail. With 60 strips you can probably keep matching up sets of 3 and assuming they are cut correctly, when you cut your sets into blocks of 6 1/2", you will get 6 blocks per set. That will be 120 blocks which should give you a pretty good size top even without borders.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
Hello all,
I was fortunate to 'win' a game that offered a prize of approximately 60 strips 2 1/2" x wof strips at our quilt group Christmas luncheon. The strips are entirely random and a mix of bold, beautiful, muted and 'not so beautiful'!
Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can use these strips in one quilting project?
Thanks
Trisher
https://www.jellyrollfabric.net/

You do have to sign up for their newsletter, but they have tons of quilt patterns geared towards jellyroll. You should be able to find something there.
I have ordered a couple of jellyrolls from this site and the fabric is good quality as well.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2019 at 03:52 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 PM

I would honestly consider using them for more than one project.

As to specific project ideas, I like the Irish Chain pattern and rail fence and both would work with your strips. I also have a great many bag pattern that use strips.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Moda has a free pattern for a Jelly Roll Bag that is fun to alter to fit your needs and they make great gifts. I donated one to a silent auction and it sold for $65.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:25 AM

The downside to doing a scrappy strip quilt with all 2.5" strips is that you will need to match the joins (also, you can't count on all of the strips actually being 2.5" wide). Luckily someone pointed that out to me before I used my Accuquilt to cut my scrap strips. It's a much easier quilt to make if you have random size strips.

I would do a rail fence.

bkay