Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solids - What & where to buy? >

Solids - What & where to buy?

Solids - What & where to buy?

Old 12-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Solids - What & where to buy?

Having a new perspective on the value of solids, I went shopping on line. Now my head hurts! The last local quilt shop has closed - fire in the strip mall damaged their shop and they decided not to reopen :-(

I think my best bets are Kauffman Kona or Moda Bella but am open to suggestions. What do you prefer and where do you find the best deals?
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 PM

You can check out https://marshalldrygoods.com/. They have solids called Dream Cotton. I like them and so do others apparently and they are reasonable. They don't have the color selection that Kona does, but they have quite a few. I have bought some basic colors by the bolt. If you buy a bolt, you can get it for I think it is $2.99 a yard. By the single yard it is $4.49 a yard.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:35 PM

My personal preference are the Kauffman Konas. They just have a better feel to them IMHO. I would still pre-wash them before use to check on any bleeding, especially in the reds. You won't go wrong with the Moda Bellas either. Both these brands are good choices it just comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:40 PM

Kona solids are one of the few things I will get at JoAnns. I’ve used the coupon before to buy it. You have to be careful though because often the Kona cottons are discounted just enough so the coupon isn’t applicable.

I also have come to really appriciate the texture grunge solids add to a project.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

I buy mine at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, I can feel them in store.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:35 PM

I just bought kona solids on fabric.com. I was very happy with the price, less than (almost half price) of the LQS. I am all about supporting the LQS, and did during the past few months, but the sticker shock, most fabric started at $12.99/yd, and several were higher, so the result translates to online shopping unfortunately.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:03 PM

I typically buy Kona through equilter.com I prefer to get one brand because there is a difference from black to black, not to mention the various shades of things. While I find sometimes there are differences in the greige goods (the base stock of the fabric) in terms of subtle differences in weave or shine, I do find Kona keeps their colors true to each other so if I always buy Wheat or Sand or whatever, I can use the pieces from previous projects with new yardage along with my basic black and white I keep in stock. Usually buy a 3 yard cut of those when getting low.

I have a hard time finding Kona solids in shops and in my area they are priced quite a bit higher than through equilter. They are my first stop for fabric shopping on line, I've used them many times and have always had tremendous service.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I love Dream Cotton from Marshalls! It's the same as Moda Bella Solids.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:59 PM

I recommend Fat Quarter Shop for solids. They have a 'shop by theme' option and you can look at all their solids and near solids together in one place. I used to prefer Michael Miller Cotton Couture, but lately I've tried the Art Gallery solids (I think these are called Pure Elements?) -- I love the feel of Art Gallery fabrics. My new favorites are the Riley Blake confetti cottons -- such wonderful colors and so soft after washing!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Good advice here...I've used both Kona and Bella, but haven't had access to Marshall', and have no preference one over the other. At my LQS, solids are priced lower than other fabrics. Like IceBlossom says all blacks are not the same. If you stick with one brand you will be just fine.

I'm finding I'm using more solids than before, but like to use pieces that read solid to give some depth to the patchwork.