Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375 >

Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375

Sewing machine advice - Brother LX2375

Old 01-02-2020, 05:02 AM

My first machine was a Brother. I think you should have no problems doing the piecework on that machine ... And it would be a wonderful training exercise to teach your foot how to behave on the pedal and how to adjust tension and control bunching. I think when it comes to the quilting the machine would be overwhelmed but you could certainly make the top.
I would be concerned about starting a hand sewing project of this size...it seems a recipe for failure/ UFO/ unfinished object but that's ME and not YOU. You do you! I'll be over here with the pom-poms cheering!
Old 01-02-2020, 06:34 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! If your manual says not to use for quilting then I would not attempt to make a quilt on it. You do not want to ruin your quilt, especially since you are struggling already with the machine. There is a lot of weight to a quilt and management with a Domestic Machine is important. It is always good to learn to hand quilt. Be sure to secure you sandwich well. I prefere safety pins about 4" apart. This is a lot of work but worth it in the end. Then a hoop that fits your lap comfortably.
If none of this is what you want there is always long arm quilting to be considered.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 AM

I do not think you need to go out and buy a different machine quite yet nor do I think you need to have it serviced - the cost of servicing is likely not worth what you even paid for the machine upfront.

Agree with NJ Quilter - please double check the manual and make sure you've threaded it correctly? Overstock.com had over 40 reviews on this machine and a couple people mentioned the threading was kind of tricky? I don't know this particular machine so I couldn't say, but I know threading my featherweight is still tricky for me!

In regards to what kind of shank, here is a link that explains it pretty well: https://madamsew.com/blogs/sewing-bl...s-presser-feet

As to how big a throat you have, you simply get out your ruler and measure the distance from the needle to the base of the machine directly to the right. Basically, how wide the "hole" of the machine is.

I do also suspect that your top tension is too tight, so keep making small adjustments and seeing how the stitches look as you sew a new seam. Here's a brief article on tension: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/easi...ension-2821432
Old 01-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by kkranig View Post
I am very new to quilting. I am just getting ready to start my very first quilt. I was going to do the entire quilt by hand, but now I am thinking about using a sewing machine. I have a Brother LX2375, but never really used it much because I could never get it to work right. That however could be due to operator error. I have read that I cannot use this machine for quilting due to the needle height not being adjustable. Does anyone know about these machines? Also, if I would decide to buy a new machine, what would a good one be for someone just starting out sewing and quilting?
You should be able to piece with your machine. Depending on size of quilt the harp on your machine is small so a baby or throw might be doable but a large would be tasking. I suggest taking a basic sewing machine class at an lqs to get familiar with your machine. I have used all levels of brothers and never really get tension issues but if you mess up the bobbin case bad you can have major issues but brothers are easy to use. I would email brother for a manual to download
Old 01-02-2020, 05:54 PM

So, I measured from the foot to the screw and it measures 1 1/2" and the throat measures 6 1/2" from needle to inside edge. From top to bottom it measures 5 1/2". I have come to a couple of conclusions:
1. This board is awesome!!! Everyone is so helpful!! I am so glad that I found this board. It has been a lifesaver.
2. I have a book on first time quilting for absolute beginners that starts with small projects like potholders and coasters, then works up to placemats and table runners and then ends with a lap quilt. Each project is designed to teach new skills and build on the others. I am going to start here. I figure this will not only give me some good sewing and quilting experience first before I take on a big project. I discovered today that there is a quilt shop 60 miles away and one 120 miles away. I have reached out to the one that is 120 miles away, but have not tired to reach the closer one. I figured, I will just stop in there sometime.
3. I think I am going to try my machine with the small projects and look for a different machine in the meantime. I have a few questions out to quilt shops and family who quilt to find some recommendations. I figured by the time I get to the lap quilt, I should have figured out which machine to get.

That being said. Starting with the small objects, if my machine will quilt them do I just leave the normal presser foot on or should I put the darning plate and the darning foot on? Also, do I need to adjust tension and stitch length and width? The manual does not give instructions for quilting. I will check the quilting book.
I of course will play with the machine first and get the tension right for the piecing and then I can test with some cloth and batting and see what it does.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:04 AM

You should be able to quilt those small projects you plan to start with on your machine. If you plan to do just some straight line quilting you really should not need to change to the darning plate/foot. I am able to do straight line quilting on my machine with my regular piecing foot. That said, I did recently invest in a walking foot for mine and it does make life much easier, lol. The throat on my machine is a bit larger than yours and I was able to quilt a king sized quilt. Granted, there was lots of pushing and pulling of the quilt but it was doable.

You will need to adjust your stitch length when quilting the sandwich. You may need to adjust tension as well. Make up a practice sandwich to test your settings before working on your 'real' project. Use the same fabrics/batting for your practice sandwich.

If you plan to do free motion quilting (FMQ) you may need to change feet/plate. I have no clue on that front but someone will be along shortly to advise on that aspect.