Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gadgets & Tools Recommended to use in 2020 >

Gadgets & Tools Recommended to use in 2020

Gadgets & Tools Recommended to use in 2020

Old 01-04-2020, 05:36 PM

Ok, here is the link to the gadget that uses the rotary blades. They have some other cool things, too. I have never purchased from them so I can't vouch for the site. https://www.purplehobbies.com/#/

Old 01-04-2020, 05:45 PM

Not a new gadget by any means, but I am loving the flat, flat seams I get when I use my wooden tailor's clapper. I want a second one, cause it works best if you can let the seam completely cool under the block.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Here is a non quilt tool to use for quilting. We bought a Bluetooth speaker that connects wirelessly to a phone or tablet. We can use it to play music from Pandora or our collection (or any source our phone can access) or podcasts, or whatever we want to play. We use ours all the time.
I love my Bose Bluetooth speaker and the quality...I too, listen to music and podcasts routinely while I’m sewing.

theQuiltedCottage, thank you for the Purple hobbies link...they have some fun gadgets.

Last edited by jmoore; 01-05-2020 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Incorrect link name
Old 01-05-2020, 06:11 AM

I am unable to post a picture currently, I only get an URL option. I wanted to post a picture of a product I discovered this past week. It's not a gadget, but a product that has changed my quilting. I have used 505 basting spray for many years, but we all know how expensive it is, and there are many threads on this form on other forms of home made basting spray or how to use Elmers school glue to baste. I went to our local Dollar Tree store in search of the Elmers school glue and found an adhesive spray. It was a 2 oz bottle made by Beacon Value. I unscrewed the cap, it looked and smelled like Elmers glue. I said why not, for a $1. I brought it home, made a sample sandwich with it, I ironed it, then I stitched the sample with no issues, I made a second sample and "washed" it in my bathroom sink. I was able to separate all three pieces with no issues. So I basted a throw size quilt 72x60" with the adhesive spray, I basted the back, laid out the batting, basted batting and laid out the top,then I ironed each section as I went along. I quilted the entire throw with no issues, no movement of fabric, no wrinkles/creases on backing, no gumming of the needle. I used two of the 2 oz bottles to baste this throw. I am just thrilled with this product. For $2, I basted a throw size quilt with no issues. This will become my go to for basting, no more 505 spray for me, which means more money for fabric. Also, this adhesive spray is a pump spray, not aerosol which I liked, no fumes to breath in. If you have a Dollar Tree in your area, it's worth a try, and if you Google it, it is available online.

I too have a bluetooth speaker in my quilt studio that I listen to music on while in there. I splurge and subscribe to Amazon music to be able to listen to anything I want, create different play list, and it's all add free.

Thank you Sewgood for the Odif "grippy" suggestion, already looked it up and have it in my Amazon cart. Can't wait to try it. Great thread, will continue to check in.

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 01-05-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:28 AM

Hmmm... i predict a run on Dollar Stores nationwide in search of that spray. I see that Crayola brands might have something similar! Thank you, Quiltah Mama!
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
... I went to our local Dollar Tree store in search of the Elmers school glue and found an adhesive spray. It was a 2 oz bottle made by Beacon Value. I unscrewed the cap, it looked and smelled like Elmers glue. I said why not, for a $1. I brought it home, made a sample sandwich with it, I ironed it, then I stitched the sample with no issues, I made a second sample and "washed" it in my bathroom sink. I was able to separate all three pieces with no issues. So I basted a throw size quilt 72x60" with the adhesive spray, I basted the back, laid out the batting, basted batting and laid out the top,then I ironed each section as I went along. I quilted the entire throw with no issues, no movement of fabric, no wrinkles/creases on backing, no gumming of the needle. I used two of the 2 oz bottles to baste this throw. I am just thrilled with this product. For $2, I basted a throw size quilt with no issues. .
Is this what you bought? https://www.dollartree.com/beacon-va...ray-2oz/285192
Old 01-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I agree, I love the couple of rulers I have purchased and I am waiting for them to come out with a 12 1/2 inch square ruler.
They do have them! I had to replace that size last summer. I agree with the Quilter's Select rulers. I too got my first one last year...a 6 x 24. I really liked my frosted Olfa, but I was cutting strips the other day and grabbed it instead of the QS and I couldn't get over how much slippage I had. Maybe I am just used to the QS now, but what a difference. They are great when my Grands come to sew, too.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Someone mentioned a rotary mat...I know they have been around for years, but that's what I'm using my gift certificate on. I'm choosing the smaller option...about 12" square as it will be great for trimming my mini blocks that I sew enjoy making.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Yes, that is what I bought and used. Worked excellent. Just be sure to iron your sandwich well after basting the layers.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
Yes, that is what I bought and used. Worked excellent. Just be sure to iron your sandwich well after basting the layers.
Thank you! There is a new dollar tree store near me. I will definitely see if they have some.