Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difficulty Rating For Swiss and Norway Patterns >

Difficulty Rating For Swiss and Norway Patterns

Difficulty Rating For Swiss and Norway Patterns

Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 AM

Welcome to the quilting world and congratulations on your new quilting skills! I think both patterns are doable for you. Bonnie and Camille always do a great job with their pattern instructions. Their fabric is beautiful, too. I have made quite a few of their quilt designs over the years and have never been disappointed. I would say just take your time and make a sample block. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Quilted Cottage View Post
...make a sample block. Good luck!
Great advice and something that we all should do prior to tackling a new project.

Both patterns require alignment skills, I believe the Swiss one is more forgiving than the Norwegian one. Getting two pieces to align isn't always easy, getting multiple pieces to align can be tricky and frustrating. I have learned that once something is a "little out of kilter", continuing to add pieces to the block seems to magnify the problem, instead of disguising it . I have learned, it is easier to correct the problem as soon as I find it. So after sewing each seam, I check with a ruler to ensure that my piece is still straight/square.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:35 PM

I think we each have our own "rules" or "standards" that we use to judge the difficulty of a pattern. Mine is, "Is it all squares or rectangles?" No triangles? Definitely ok for anyone who has successfully completed a few quilts. I agree with those who said to make a trial block. Be careful with your seams, and I'm sure you will git 'er done!