New Toy... Singer 301A

Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 PM

http://singer301.com/accessories/default.html has a good list of accessories and a neat site to explore.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-03-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 01-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Love my 301's

I have all 5, BLK shortbed, BLK longbed, Mocha shortbed, Mocha longbed and Crean/tan shortbed. I have one in a cabnit and 4 in the trapazoid cases. Heavy duty , fast straight stitch machines. Sew through some leather and jeans with ease. Did you know that there are 2 different sizes of the trapazoid cases??
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 AM

I have two - one set up for FMQ and one for piecing. It's an easy machine to service yourself. Do you have the manual?
Old 01-04-2020, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I have two - one set up for FMQ and one for piecing. It's an easy machine to service yourself. Do you have the manual?
Irishrose2 - Yes, it came with the original manual but it is a bit tattered and fragile. I've downloaded a PDF of the manual and will print it out to keep with the machine so the original doesn't get worse damage. Although the machine is beautiful, the case is very damaged and I've been researching (with little luck) how to repair it.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
I have all 5, BLK shortbed, BLK longbed, Mocha shortbed, Mocha longbed and Crean/tan shortbed. I have one in a cabnit and 4 in the trapazoid cases. Heavy duty , fast straight stitch machines. Sew through some leather and jeans with ease. Did you know that there are 2 different sizes of the trapazoid cases??
ppquilter - Wow, you've got an arsenal of 301's. I would love to have a nice cabinet as well as the trapezoid case.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 PM

You can find a lot of info here;
http://www.singer301.com/about/default.html

They are terrific machines.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:06 AM

That was my mother's machine (whereabouts currently unknown!) I love to see one so have fun.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:11 AM

I bought my 301A in 1956 so that I could make maternity clothes. It is a wonderful machine and I sewed clothes for me and my eight children over the years. The buttonholer is superb. I don't make many buttonholes now, but when I want one, I prefer to go to that machine and use that one. We had a cabinet made to house the 301A that looks like a desk and that was a wonderful idea. It's still my desk and the machine is stored in a double high drawer with no side on it so the machine can be tucked in. The man who made this was an artist.
301A machines are much sought after. They are real work horses.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:56 PM

What's neat about the 301, is they are popular enough that sellers still have feet for sale for it, as well as some original parts from time to time! I ended up getting a walking foot, LED replacement light (it's so nice!!) and a free motion foot (which I haven't figured out yet) for my longbed tan-and-cream 301 from https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/si...ine-parts.aspx . I can't imagine why the black would be preferable...just aesthetics?