My husband

Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Quitting smoking is never easy. I hope you two have plenty of years of bickering ahead of you now.
Well said Moonpi! :lol:

Sounds like you two had a great heart to heart conversation today and things are already starting to look up for you both. The positive in this situation is that he is alive.

Cherish every moment.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Stress and fright make you say and do things you dont mean and could kick yourself for doing. I am sure stopping smoking is adding to it. Prayers to both of you.

Margie
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM

Barb, you and your husband are in my prayers. And congratulations of the quitting smoking. Keep it up and you will be rewarded in many ways.

My husband went to his doctor when he first experienced chest pains. They caught it in time to prevent a heart attack. The left anterior descending was 100% blocked. He had to have bypass surgery at age 47. He didn't smoke, cholestrol was great, skinny as a rail, and ate a fairly healthy diet. Through cardiac rehab he learned even healthier eating. Doctors are amazed with his good health at age 62.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:05 PM

What a scare for both of you! When my uncle stopped smoking he would munch on frozen strawberries. There are every kind of frozen fruits now days. Try frozen fresh grapes too. Take one day at a time and count your blessings. Life is just going to get better and better.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:06 PM

So sorry that you had such a scare, but thankful that the docs were able to get your hubby back on his feet. I can understand that you are having periods of snapping, stress, fatigue, and withdrawal from nicotine will do that. You have the right idea, talk it out...communication is so important in every situation.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:00 AM

What a scary week for you both. Glad to hear he is ok and home with you. The snapping is from the nicotine withdrawal and the scare. Do not take it personally. This is the way men release fear and anger and we retaliate because we are hurt by it. When my husband had a blood clot in his leg two years ago, I almost lost him as tiny pieces had broken off into his lungs. When he came home, we were the same way. When he would snap, I just started telling him I Love You and he started snapping less. When I felt the urge to snap, I just stopped and thanked God that he was still here. Hang in there and be thankful for each minute together. God be with you both.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Barb, such a scary time to go through! I am so glad he's ok!! How good that you're both quitting smoking at the same time! The snapping will soon pass, and you'll both be so much healthier! ~spoken by one who also needs to quit....
Warm hugs!!!
:)
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM

Barbara...I'm so sorry you had to go through this stress and emergency with your hubby. I'm one of those that believes with lots of "manure" grows "Beautiful Roses", so quitting smoking and getting this 2nd chance at living is the blessing ya'll will receive.

Almost 3 years ago, I was facing another major abdominal surgery (my 5th)and they were doing several things at one time; finishing up a hysterectomy, fixing a hernia, removing adhesions, pulling up the bladder, and removing a 7" tumor (which everyone thought was cancerous, except me). I decided that I was going to quit smoking this time after 45 years of being addicted to those horrible nasty white sticks.

I prepared for the big event; crunchy snacks, candy, sugar-free gum, joined an on-line group called QUIT NOW, got into a breathing support group from my Dr., and put post-it notes all over the house. The Post-It notes were put in obvious places where I could see them..mirrors, cupboards, tv, walls, and on them I wrote different things; YOU CAN DO THIS - GO FOR A WALK - CALL YOUR SISTERS - CHEW GUM - TAKE 5 DEEP BREATHS - PRAY - DO NOT LET THEM WIN - HATE THE WHITE STICKS - DRINK LOTS OF O.J. and on and on.

It worked! and I had tried to quit 100's of times and always failed and beat myself up each time. This time I was determined not to lose, and realized that I wanted to live for my kids/grandkids/sisters and to do some other things with my money spent on the white sticks. I rewarded myself every week, then every month, and now once a year... with a little something...like new shoes, a quilt magazine, new fabric, new lipstick...etc. It was fun.

So, hang in there.....love each other, talk about it, and start walking a little bit everyday. I now go to a gym 3 times a week, have more energy and can walk up a flight of stairs without gasping, etc. The exercise really helps and you have to start slow & small, but increase the length of your walks about every week or two weeks......along with lots of fruits & veggies. I am now one of those people who eats 6-8 colorful servings of fruit & veggies each day, and am currently keeping a food journal where I write down EVERYTHING that goes in my "food hole"..as I call it..and take several vitamen/mineral food supplements prescribed by my Dr.

Sorry..this is so long, and hope I haven't bored ya'll to death, but wanted to share a "successful" story with you for encouragement. If you want to have a "phone buddy" to talk to about this, am happy to do that. Just send me an email and we can exchange phone numbers.

There's no "good luck" coming from me.....instead... "YOU can do this".

Judy
Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 AM

You are both going through a very difficult time, but I know you are both thankful to be able to. I will add you both to my prayers. The end result will be sooooooo worth it! My husband had to quit cold turkey when he got pneumonia and he did not have the weight problem. I have never smoked, but have always had a weight problem. The combination must be horrendous! He also was crabby, but is so much healthier now. Best wishes to you both!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Judy, what a great story. You're such an inspiration! :D