Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-17-2020, 08:40 AM

Janie, I love your color choices and am so anxious to see the finished products on all of these; you do beautiful work; I may go with straight rows too and will try to set up at least 4 blocks today.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I finally got my computer hooked up in our new home - just in time to download all the parts so I can make this in the future. I've so missed playing along this year, but my machines are still packed up! The weather isn't nice enough to make the trip to the old place for cleaning and such, so maybe I'll have a bit more time to organize things at the new place!

I am so ready to be sewing again.
MacyBaby.... I think that is an understatement! They’ve shut down the courthouses so I’m having an adult snow day! So far I’ve cleaned the kitchen and read through all the instructions. I’m just going to go step by step.

i am not a fan of the border. For me I need a thicker border to offset how busy everything else is. I may have to play with the fabric I have left after I finish to see what I can come up with.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the final clue and reveal. I feel like there are multiple clues all crammed into one. It's kind of like when you read a long mystery book only to have all the outstanding dangling threads all tied up in one crazy final chapter and you are left hanging over a chasm rather than gently led to a safe and secure ending!!!
I am sure I will be able to get thru this, but right now it leaves me not even wanting to try to complete the clues and quilt. I just want to cry out ?!?!?! This may well be my first, and last, BH mystery quilt. Perhaps my foggy brain is just not meant for such things. LOL
I won't cry for help yet, as I haven't even begun to get my head in a starting place on clue 9. Maybe tomorrow...... one can hope.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-17-2020, 09:43 AM

I am in a really similar place. I’m feeling like this is just beyond my abilities. I’m also noticing how all the really experienced quilters here are saying they are going to have to take a step at a time. Is this an intermediate quilt or is it advanced?
Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Wow, I am overwhelmed by the final clue and reveal. I feel like there are multiple clues all crammed into one. It's kind of like when you read a long mystery book only to have all the outstanding dangling threads all tied up in one crazy final chapter and you are left hanging over a chasm rather than gently led to a safe and secure ending!!!
I am sure I will be able to get thru this, but right now it leaves me not even wanting to try to complete the clues and quilt. I just want to cry out ?!?!?! This may well be my first, and last, BH mystery quilt. Perhaps my foggy brain is just not meant for such things. LOL
I won't cry for help yet, as I haven't even begun to get my head in a starting place on clue 9. Maybe tomorrow...... one can hope.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-17-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Wow, this quilt is busy!
I'm not sure if I like the border. Busy bordering busy.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-17-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 AM

Wow! I think the reveal is lovely! I love how Bonnies' mystery always takes me out of my comfort zones on colors and techniques.
I just have to remember to take it one step at a time and it shouldn't be too hard since we now can see the end result. I certainly don't have to finish it today! HaHa!
If you are confused like I am/have been then reach out here for some help. There are several who have helped me figure things out.
Kirsten
Old 01-17-2020, 10:12 AM

I.love.this.reveal. I wouldn't have imagined this layout in a thousand years! Since the HSTs are used for the border I'm going to have to do a bucket load more or go with something else. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Wildyard -- those of us who have done Bonnie's quilts in the past are prepared for this and more -- like a clue a day for several days before the reveal. My first was Easy Street and it took me a year to get the assembly done and I was only doing a 1/3rd size. My brain doesn't do puzzles well, and these often seem like puzzles to me. But I've learned to take it one step at a time and follow her directions to a "T". But I've found if I work on it for a day or two, then come back to it a few days later, I don't get as frustrated. And it is always worth the satisfaction of doing a quilt I would never do on my own.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I am in a really similar place. I’m feeling like this is just beyond my abilities. I’m also noticing how all the really experienced quilters here are saying they are going to have to take a step at a time. Is this an intermediate quilt or is it advanced?
It is not beyond your ability at all. Just go slowly and take one part at a time. As to complexity, I'd say intermediate as the pieces are all square. Adding in curves would make it advanced, in my mind.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 AM

For those that are confused just take it one chunk at a time.

Start by making the main blocks. You have almost all the parts ready to go for those. Just start there. Once you have those blocks done add the sashings.

Just take it one piece at a time. This step is not as complicated as it seems... it’s just really long because of the setting triangles.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:57 AM

JanieW, I want to make sure you know that your aqua/blue HSTs are turned the opposite way from Bonnie's.

As to the question of whether this is intermediate or advanced, none of Bonnie's units are especially difficult; I think they would be labeled as beginning or intermediate. I think her quilts seem more difficult because of the numbers of units involved, and then the huge amount of info that is released with the last clue.

I would encourage everyone to realize that you can break up this last 'clue' into many smaller ones, and just deal with one a week if that suits. We have until next Halloween to put this together, LOL.