Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-17-2020, 11:18 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Yes, this clue is long. You will be 1). Making corner 4 patches for the blocks. 2.) pairing up the geese units 3) assembling the blocks 4) assembling the setting triangles AKA half blocks 4). Assembling the corner units AKA corner quarter blocks. All your blocks are now done—on to the sashing!

5). Those raspberry neutral odd rectangles need to be longer to match the size of the blocks Join one of those oddities to each end of a neutral 1.5” x 4.5” .

I am going to cut each step as I need it, to avoid panicking at the thought that some previously cut pieces have gone walkabout.

The rows go together just as Bonnie does them. I literally set my blocks on the design wall on point—with one corner on the top. That way the rows go across, and I don’t get a crick in neck tilting my head sideways to look at them.

This quilt is not so much difficult as it is complicated, and keeping straight which pieces belong together is a rather tedious task. Just go slowly—one step at a time. You can do it, one block at a time.

Last edited by Krisb; 01-17-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanks , joe’smom. I hadn’t noticed. I’ll change them to the right way and see what looks good. I may leave them that way as I’m not going to put the blocks on point and I like how it looks. Appreciate the heads up.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM

I changed the hsts and I like Bonnie’s way better. Good thing you saw my error before I started putting blocks together, joe’smom. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8E160A1F-678F-487F-8CBC-6BFC2E11D39D.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	621912  
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM

We can do this folks, I think I would have had us do it in two steps, but we can take those steps together. I don't really like having to go a block at a time, usually I design my projects so I can avoid it, but this isn't my project and it's sort of what my fabrics demand in addition to how it was designed. Again, it is Bonnie Hunter's Frolic Mystery and I'm letting the designer do their part. As with each of the steps, by the time I get to the end I get a rhythm and it gets better.

I'm just being a slacker today and not feeling overly motivated to do anything... except maybe make some lunch.

For those that don't like the double sawtooth border, I was expecting pinwheels and you can make those from the same HST, either alternating colors or two colors each.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM

Cheers to all of y'all that are ready for the reveal. It's a great quilt, I dropped out about halfway. It's time for me to copy the plans I've printed and go line by line with a highlighter to make certain I've got it all done. Carry on y'all, looking forward to seeing all your great finishes.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:48 PM

JanieW, that is one gorgeous block!

I finally finished printing out the clue (I prefer to re-size the pictures in a word document so it takes a while).

Now to decide what to do about the quilt I put up on the wall while waiting for today to arrive. Should I continue putting that together until the center is a unit, or strip the rows off the wall and get to frolicking?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM

Seeing the quilt on point, on the fence at the top of the Facebook page, I prefer the units straight rather than on point too, that said I’ve been knee deep kitting up blocks for another project ... after gallbladder surgery next Tuesday I don’t know if I’ll feel like sitting at a machine or standing up sorting the mystery. Either way I’ll be ready!
Old 01-17-2020, 02:48 PM

I'm echoing everyone that says this is a totally do-able quilt. My brain is pretty chaotic but some of those clues were information overload! I think it's a combination of trying to explain thoroughly for those who need it (she's a teacher, that's what she does), trying to explain a few alternate methods when possible, trying to keep the mystery, and trying to keep a wide range of people challenged along the way. The reveal could have been broken down into at least a couple more weekly clues, but it wasn't. Of course this is not my quilt, not my blog, not my circus, so I'll happily deal with what we've been given without complaining!

For me, given how my brain works and the kinds of quilts I tend to make, the toughest part has been keeping the matching sets matching all along the way. I don't think any of the individual parts are beyond the abilities of a determined beginner.

This is the third Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt I've sewn. I have a few others cut and ready to go, but I have those in clue form also. I can't speak to what the mystery instructions look like when unscrambled and written as a regular pattern, but this one might be worth waiting to purchase if you love the quilt but found the clues to be too confusing.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:16 PM

I have not been sewing week by week because I've done that in the past with Bonnie's mysteries and been very disappointed at the end. In one case, I just didn't like the design, but in the other it was because the quilt was actually so much easier to make than the way she made it.

For all of you who have worked on the quilt clues each week, congratulations! I can't wait to see all your reveals and all the different fabrics you've chosen.

I did order fabric for the quilt and I will be making a version of it. It's essentially a LeMoyne Star with an alternating block that I designed to have the blue triangles to complete the wavy look of the quilt, and a thin "X" across the block. My blocks are the same orientation as Bonnie's, but the quilt is not set on point so no pesky half and quarter blocks and no bias edges, and no sashing. I will also do a thin border in neutrals (finishing at 2") and a second border that I haven't decided about. I'm thinking maybe four patches set diagonally. Now that I have both a plan and a snowstorm coming, I'll get started this weekend.

Just a word about the LeMoyne Stars in Bonnie's quilt. Does anyone have any idea why she would have us make the stars out of double the number of patches? Do you think it was to avoid the Y seam? I could see that, because it's hard to teach Y seams online, although once you've done a few they are easy. My other thought was that it helped her keep the mystery. Thoughts?

Looking forward to seeing blocks and then quilt tops!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Seeing the quilt on point, on the fence at the top of the Facebook page, I prefer the units straight rather than on point too, that said I’ve been knee deep kitting up blocks for another project ... after gallbladder surgery next Tuesday I don’t know if I’ll feel like sitting at a machine or standing up sorting the mystery. Either way I’ll be ready!
Best of luck with the gallbladder surgery on Tuesday! I saw one performed on TV recently and it was done with two tiny incisions and the patient went home the same day. I hope yours can be done that way! I'll keep a good thought for you.