Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Block Wonder Pros n Cons >

One Block Wonder Pros n Cons

One Block Wonder Pros n Cons

Old 01-21-2020, 03:11 AM

Don't make your pieces too small. I made this mistake and I got sick of sewing them all together and just never finished the top.

Watson
Old 01-21-2020, 04:13 AM

We had a speaker at our Guild who had made many OBW. She said something interesting. Don't purchase fabric you especially like, purchase the ugly stuff in the colors you like. In the end, the pattern disappears and you end up with colors standing up front. She purchased, she said, "Ugly fabric from Walmart". Her quilts were beautiful.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
My only tale of caution would be once you make one you’ll want to make more! Are you making the hexagon or octagon OBW? Either way be sure to share your progress and the fabrics you choose.
So true! I have two going right now. The facebook group is ! The first one I started had lots of colours and a 24 inch repeat. I love it! The second one had fewer colours and so I cut the strips (for hexagons) a little smaller. The repeat is only 12 inches. A lot of the blocks look very similar. I learned how to make cubes (fun) to add variety and interest. I will post pictures of my half finished quilts. if I can figure out how to get pictures to upload.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	obw not finished.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	354.8 KB
ID:	622026   Click image for larger version

Name:	obw mini.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	622027  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-21-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-21-2020, 07:28 AM

This site can be very helpful and the OBW facebook site also has great directions.

http://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/
Old 01-21-2020, 09:34 AM

I have never made a One Block Wonder quilt but it id most definitely on my list of things to do. I have done a stack and wack quilt but I was not happy with the choices of fabrics I used after I pieced things together. There is a large learning curve on colors and placement is such quilts.
I will have to take my time on one of these One Block Wonders and I know me, I like to run right through things and this is a quilt were running right through is not an option.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:31 PM

That website that allows you to upload a picture and preview what it would look like is awesome! I've been playing with it for two days now. It sure helps you visualize how the different fabrics can work.