Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brand of wool pressing mat >

brand of wool pressing mat

brand of wool pressing mat

Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

I bought this one off of Amazon, I haven't used it yet though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I bought mine from Quilt in a Day. Love it. I got it on sale.
I got mine from Quilt in a Day as well. Also on sale. Worth every penny. Blocks are perfect after pressing. Flat and exact size.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have several all different brands. I can't tell difference between them. As long as it is thick and can't be folded it's the right one. Be sure and use a barrier underneath as heat and steam will go through the mat. My oldest mat turned brown in spots but was easy to brush them away with a stiff brush. I have washed one to get the starch build up out and it seems to be fine. I was given a 5 inch by 5 inch one. I have no idea what its good for but it's cute.
Onebyone, curious to know what you use for a barrier. I purchased one from MS but haven’t used it with steam yet. Going on a retreat this weekend and planning on taking it with my travel iron. Sure don’t want to ruin a table. Will use it next to my machine.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:36 PM

I absolutely my wool ironing mat (17"x 17"). Ironing is a breeze and fabric doesn't move when you iron it. However the best thing is - - no more little folds of fabric in the seams, and because it's wool the heat actually radiates back up to the piece so you get heat from the top and bottom.....Couldn't do with out mine

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-23-2020 at 03:49 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-24-2020, 05:20 AM

I like mine as it helps flatten the points that tend to bulk up a bit. Being a new quilter, I need all the help I can get.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:31 PM

I have the horse pad one. I got the saddle pad (30 inches x 30 inches) and cut it into four, which gave me a 15 inch square pad x 4 pads. Friends split the cost.
Recently I ordered another pad, and the price of the pad had dropped to half the original cost a year ago. (Maybe the horse shop ordered a larger quantity because of quilters buying them? The store clerk made a sarcastic remark about "I suppose you're going to use this for quilting and not for a horse")
I have been using my original one for almost a year, and I use it a lot, I have never gotten any lanolin coming out of it, and I use steam, If I'm remembering correctly, steam is used to felt wool, so the steam should help it fuse more not make it separate...
I ordered another full pad as I intend to make a full sized ironing board pad for my ironing board. Then I'll use the other smaller one for a travel version,
Old 01-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Originally Posted by LifeLovePassion View Post
I bought this one off of Amazon, I haven't used it yet though.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i have that one and love it. Then I got one which fits my entire ironing big board. That one came from The Decorating Diva. I always wondered what every one was raving about and then I used it..... amazing persuading the intersection and seams to be flat
Old 01-25-2020, 12:53 PM

When I was growing up my mother used an old army blanket folded up on her ironic board. (They were 100% wool back then.) I just looked up the horse pads and they are less than half and had great reviews. Wish I would have found them before I ordered the one I have. Trying to justify ordering one. But my mat is 17 x 24 and the other is 30 x 30. since it would iron a full fat quarter might be my reason......