Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pin Cushion >

Pin Cushion

Pin Cushion

Old 01-24-2020, 05:07 AM

I mix walnut shells with rice. I like them weighted.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 AM

Wool works well because it has natural oils, as do walnut shells. Make sure the wool hasn't been washed.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:21 AM

Steel wool will rust and scratch your pins or needles making them rough. It is not a prefered material. I use walnut shells for the best, though course filling. Sand makes a nice heavy base too.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I cut open old velvet pin cushions when I find them at thrift shops and yard sales. They are always filled with sawdust. I find a lot of needles inside them. The quality ones like they use to be made. Very seldom do I find any needles that are rusted unless they happen to be newer ones.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I cut open old velvet pin cushions when I find them at thrift shops and yard sales. They are always filled with sawdust. I find a lot of needles inside them. The quality ones like they use to be made. Very seldom do I find any needles that are rusted unless they happen to be newer ones.
...... so it wasn't just my Mother who filled her pin cushions with sawdust!

I too remember her opening up the old ones and taking out all the needles.
She'd have a count for us all, as to how many she found.
In fact ... I still have needles that she had saved in her felt needle books!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Continuing that thought .... would wool yarn be OK? or wool batting?
.... or only wool fleece?
What I used was wool from the inside of an old quilt. Most likely it had never been washed, as we would take the quilt apart if the top needed cleaning, wash the top, put the wool batt back in and retie it. If the batt was in bad shape, it went to the woolen mill to be re-carded. They cleaned it that time and usually had to add some new wool, as there was always some of the old wool lost in the carding process. "Carding"? Using a wire-toothed brush to comb out fibers, as of wool, prior to spinning.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaMS View Post
Wool...what a wonderful idea. I don’t have any wool fabric, but I might can get my hands on some wool clothing. Would that work?
I would think that would work, but it would be hard to get it smooth and not lumpy. I wouldn't worry about if it had been washed or not.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I would think that would work, but it would be hard to get it smooth and not lumpy. I wouldn't worry about if it had been washed or not.
If you line the fabric with batting before making the cushion the finish will be smooth after stuffing.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I fill the bottom of my pincushion I make with poly beads then I stuff it with 100% pure cotton balls. I find the balls stuff better. I use this pattern for most of my pincushions to give away. I make them extra large and fill them with colored glass head pins for gifts. It really makes a gift. Super easy.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/homes...ts-pincushions
I too use the Poly-pellets but I don't use the cotton balls. I have no trouble damage to my pins and makes a great pattern weight. I machine embroidered on a piece of black double knit that we don't know what to make with anymore.-lol I've been using my glass heads pins in for almost 4 years now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03793 QB web.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	622130