Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you consider it "cheating" >

Do you consider it "cheating"

Do you consider it "cheating"

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 AM

Just my 2 cents, but I use a computerized quilting machine (Qbot with HQ16). I am so artistically challenged that I cannot free motion anything that would be acceptable. I have practiced - even drawing on a board to train my brain. No success. The Qbot allows me to quilt my own quilts. I do not enter contests and do not quilt for others. It is merely for my satisfaction and saves me money from sending them out to be quilted. As one member stated, I still have to select the design and place it on the quilt. That can be a challenge, too.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 AM

I'm one of those who has an embroidery machine. I have it because I am no good at hand embroidery. Tried it, it sucked. As far as hand quilting ormachine quilting, I agree with Candace that if our ancestors had had a choice, they probably would have chosen a machine because they had to get quilts done fast before the winter set in.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:43 AM

I also have embroidery machines and I love them. Look at my avatar - that quilt has the cutest Bunbonnet Sues, appliqued & embroidered by machine. I chose the designs, a good friend is a designer, they are hers and I'm so proud to sew them. I think this quilt is hand done. There isn't another one like it. It sprang from my brain - the design portion anyway. I had to learn to use the machine. I have spent years embroidery by machine and learning. Just like quilting.
I'd love to have a LA with computer. Bring it on!!!! lol
Judi in Ohio
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM

Wow! Awesome!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Any method that gets the "quilts" made is Quilting. As a quilting teacher for over 20 years, this discussion raises itself every so often. I have had beginner quilters be discouraged by the "purist" who say only if its hand pieced and hand quilted will it really be a quilt. Not so. Only a different method. We all have our strengths and we should follow that course. If you want to hand piece and hand quilt the heirloom, go ahead. If you want to make the quilt for a very special reason by machine piecing and quilting, go ahead, it too will be an heirloom. Just ask non quilters, they really do not know the difference. I always start a new group by stating that if our great-great grandparents had the technologies we now have, they WOULD have used them.
Can we please agree once and for all, Please.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
cae

If you do all the work leading up to final quilting stage, I don't think it is "cheating" if you use a computerized program to finish the quilt. I enjoy choosing colors, picking a pattern, cutting materials, and doing the quilt top, whether by hand or machine - you are doing the bulk of the work. I purchased a long arm quilter (non-computerized) but don't enjoy that aspect of quilting and will probably sell the machine+. But it is "my" work.......that leads up to the finished product. no cheating.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Hey - before we start argueing and get our nickers in a twist - remember - for most of us, quilting is a hobby. It's only 'cheating' if we SAY we've done it one way when we've really done it another way.

As far as I'm concerned, finishing is what it's all about. I LOVE hand quilting and wish I could still do it. But I can't, so I use my machine. And I bought an embroidery machine SPECIFICALLY so I could use the beautiful quilting patterns by Anita Gooddesign and John Deer. I don't pretend that I've guided the machine myself in those beautiful, intricate patterns, so I'm not 'cheating.' I'm getting the quilt finished!

And as for 'cheater' FABRICS - I prefer to call them 'smart' fabrics. I use them for baby quilts, and I tell the moms that they're made to USE not to SAVE. I occasionally make pieced baby quilts for really close friends. They are the ones that will probably be wall hangings (I put sleeves on them), because the receivers know how much work goes into them.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM

I say "Take me to the machine!" I didn't know there were machines that did that!!! As far as I can see, a lot of work goes into just getting the quilt sandwiched. I think that the thought, time and money that goes into making a quilt should be enough for it to be considered a "real quilt".
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Hey - before we start argueing and get our nickers in a twist - remember - for most of us, quilting is a hobby. It's only 'cheating' if we SAY we've done it one way when we've really done it another way.

As far as I'm concerned, finishing is what it's all about. I LOVE hand quilting and wish I could still do it. But I can't, so I use my machine. And I bought an embroidery machine SPECIFICALLY so I could use the beautiful quilting patterns by Anita Gooddesign and John Deer. I don't pretend that I've guided the machine myself in those beautiful, intricate patterns, so I'm not 'cheating.' I'm getting the quilt finished!

And as for 'cheater' FABRICS - I prefer to call them 'smart' fabrics. I use them for baby quilts, and I tell the moms that they're made to USE not to SAVE. I occasionally make pieced baby quilts for really close friends. They are the ones that will probably be wall hangings (I put sleeves on them), because the receivers know how much work goes into them.
You are correct. The point to be made here in all this is that the quilt was "made by YOU" no matter the method. A lot of money, fabric, hours, and love was put into it and that is all that should count!