Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 AM

IceBlossom, I think we are all in such special awe of your project because we all watched you "make your fabric". If we all did that, all the time, there wouldn't be any "I have enough stash for 3 lifetimes" and there would be a lot more finished quilts. Well done you.

well done twinriver!! I too have a loft rail, dedicated to hanging quilts and aren't we glad self-made smilies are back!!

I won't get any mystery done today because I'd have to stand on a stool to open up some working wall, not a good idea, but I have 30+ blocks prepped and ready to sew on another project so should get a few lines of sewing in. Life is good
Old 01-25-2020, 09:32 AM

It's so nice to hear the positive comments about the hand-dyes. Personally, I feel that my attachment to this bag of "cheap" fabric is a bit obsessive and puts me into the crazy lady category!

So today I figured I check out the piece of fabric I wanted to use for the binding. Boiled up my pot of water and as soon as I put the piece under the running sink water it looked like I was bleeding! After a few choice words and maybe a couple of kicking fits later, I decided I might as well bow to the inevitable and stabilize more of that bag of dye. What I have in the wash now I probably should have broken into two days, and then I will have one last small/reasonable day of the lightest fabrics to stabilize. The binding fabric has come out of the vinegar/salt bath and the microwave boil well, I think just the final bath with the stabilizer.

I've sewn a few more blocks and a lot more thinking and playing with them. For those that are looking for ways to change their blocks, that same piece of sashing I'm replacing can have a big effect using relatively little fabric. You can try using more of that favorite fabric that didn't get used, or maybe a zippy contrast of a signature fabric color. For those that used neutrals, black can make a dot-dash pattern.

If you used the same Parakeet and have more of it left, I don't have a good picture but using it for the sashing piece would make sort of "clamps:" and the neutral squares would be sort of like a cogwheel...

So here's a horizontal set of my blocks using black and dark colors for the background. I'm still planning on setting on point using the "Parakeet" but I think this looks pretty good. Once again, even though the pictures may say different, there is no black and no solids in my fabrics!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5512.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	622131  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Finished the comfort quilt last night so today I am pulling out my mystery quilt and having a stab at putting a block together. I'll cut a few of the sashings, etc. that I need for constructing a block. I am leaning towards the straight layout as I'm not a big fan of on point in most cases.
I also don't care at all for the sawtooth border, so I will probably alternate mine to make the little pyramids for border. It's less busy and a look I do like.
Have loved seeing all your blocks and colorways... what a versatile quilt this is. Happy sewing all!! Hugs and smiles!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:14 AM

Iceblossom, you're not going to go wrong with any of your sashing options, but the last one is, wow!

I'm putting in quite a bit of extra work converting four of my half blocks to full blocks and the four full blocks to half blocks, but I will be very happy with the result, which is putting my four least favorite blocks (chosen for pinwheel contrast before the reveal) on the sides.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 PM

I have a question for you all. Can someone please tell me where I will use the blue 1 1/2 in squares that are called for in the reveal, #9? I am still working on putting blocks together and have only read through the part about sashing and half blocks but just don't see them. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:18 PM

Got the neutrals and the bitty blues cut and 5 sets of corner blocks finished. The rest are all grouped together so I can stitch right thru them tomorrow.
suern3, I had thought the little blues would be for the ends of each sashing row, but I just reread the whole of clue 9 and other than cutting them, they are not mentioned again. Interesting lol..
Old 01-25-2020, 04:06 PM

I'll have to look at the instructions again, but I always just assumed they would be the cornerstones for the pieced sashing.

I'm taking one last break before I finish the last couple of seams on the last couple of blocks, that is if my back and eyes remain willing just for a bit longer. Finishing the blocks today was a pretty hefty goal, and I didn't quite make 4:00 but if I get off line, I should make 5:00 and that is quitting time!

I did have one little tidbit of wisdom to share, most of the time it hasn't been a problem but every now and then one of my seam clusters (like in the middle of the pinwheel or multi-goose units) turns into a hard little manhole cover in the middle of my forward pressing progress. In those cases, a hammer is the perfect tool to give it a little tap into submission. Our families should be glad that we only use this very effective technique sparingly...
Old 01-25-2020, 04:42 PM

TwinRiverFarm: Lovely quilt top and congratulations on getting the top finished!

Iceblossom: I love seeing your variations.

Please keep the progress pictures coming. I enjoy looking at them.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:37 PM

I think that was the one omission in Bonnie's instructions; she didn't explain what to do with the little blue squares, although she does call them cornerstones further on in the layout section and you can see where they are in her photos. Once we layout the quilt, we will see how many sashing sections we need for each row, and we'll sew a little blue square between each sashing section.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:43 AM

Wow...Iceblossom your Frolic is going to be spectacular with all of those pretty colors. I need to get my cut pieces organized so I can pick back up where I left off a few weeks ago before I took my Bernina in for its annual maintenance. Everyone seems to be plugging along nicely.