Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 01-30-2020, 05:15 AM

No dark side. Words to live by. I'm still not up to climbing something to clear up space on the working wall so my block is still there all lonely in the margin But am so enjoying seeing the progress here. Still the doyden, but creeping up on hoyden I know she is in there...
Old 01-30-2020, 06:24 AM

Woohoo! Poor sick Hubby has gone back to work and so I have my design surface to use again.

First shot, rough layout because I always have a hard time visualizing bed size from block size. So there is the top unstitched on a queen sized waterbed frame. It will tighten up a bit, but those blocks falling off the sides are not setting triangles, they are the full blocks and no borders yet!

The close up shows my new Parakeets I am using in the sashing, should have replaced all my closer-to-Bonnie's paint chip with this tone when I switched my neutrals to yellow. Not ever going to be entirely happy unless I rip out my previous pale greens and yellow and that just isn't going to happen, but I'm ok with this. The change makes it a little "blockier" in my opinion -- some people are getting marvelous circular effects.

Picture three shows the bright back with some squares up top... That's 8 yards of Alexander Henry southwestern cowboys and native americans with cactus and mountains in the background. For me it was a huge extravagant purchase, $24 for one piece of fabric... usually $20 fills my back seat.

Edit: Forgot the bit about no dark side/words to live by. Whenever I layout a project I remember a moment with a friend who I helped with a layout. She stood back and there was this little sigh and she said: It's so nice when you don't hate it.

Let's all have a day of not hating
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5520.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	622214   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5521.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	622215   Click image for larger version

Name:	resize frolic back.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	622216  
Old 01-30-2020, 06:30 AM

Iceblossom - all I can say is ! That is amazing and I continue to marvel at all the time and work you put into the fabric dying and designing. It is truly beautiful and should win "Best of Show" award. Your backing fabric is so perfect in picking up the colors from the front.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-30-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 AM

Lovely !!!!! Your " Western " Frolic is delightful !
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- that's amazing!!!!!!!! YOur hard work is certainly paying off.
A side note here- my youngest son gave me an awesome Christmas gift- a scarf that he hand dyed. I should post a pic. It's beautiful! He said it was so much fun to make.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:56 AM

Iceblossom, you must be so pleased. This pattern leant itself perfectly to a bright neutral, and all of your hard work has paid off brilliantly! Your quilt is so beautiful, and I love that bright backing!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:15 AM

As I would say on a gaming forum /blush (the / denotes an action). Thanks for the nice comments. Susie, I'd love to see pictures of the scarf. My mom who does watercolor paintings did some lovely work with silk scarves and a particular type of ink.

The thing is that home dying can be done by any of us, often with only the things we have on hand. Everything else pretty much can be bought at a 24-hour Walmart! Look for the tie dye section in the craft aisle. So if you have a dark piece scrap leftover, maybe think to yourself -- I wonder what would happen if I made a paste of my sink scrubber (the type that already includes bleach, you don't want to mess much with bleach unless you know what you are messing with), and brushed it on with a toothbrush... You start with wet fabric, btw, and check it about every 15 minutes in case there is a fast reaction and just let it dry if there isn't. Nice thing with bleach processes is all you have to do is rinse it out, no need to set! Or you have a floral that's just a bit too pale or too bright, well, most of us have a microwave and a few tea bags around.

When you dye your own fabrics, you know what you used and therefore you know how to set it. I didn't know with this bag, I was really surprised by how much the dye ran when the pieces had been starched. /boggle!

I'm sure some of it is rayon especially the binding, I don't stress about it if I can't tell for certain by my usual tests. Years ago I made a quilt out of clothing scraps, one of those was a bright piece of beautiful rayon sun dress and it held up better than some of the "new" cottons. But the thing is the processes/chemicals used for rayon and cotton are different.

Since I didn't know what was done, most of what I've really been doing is heat setting a stain and removing the excess dye. But yeah -- if I hadn't been stuck in the house without a working car, I would never have managed my way through this full bag. At one point my hubby asked me, so are you still going to do that easter egg boiling some more or have you "gotten everything you wanted out of that project" yet? (It's so cute when they use your own phrases against you!) Unfortunately for him, although I had everything I needed for Frolic I was only half way through the bag.

The bag originally was $7.99 at the thrift store, I paid full price for it. I've spent approximately $40 on supplies, including red and yellow dyes, but mostly setting fixatives and vinegar, didn't add in the cost for the plastic wrap. I'd say I put in a good 40 hour work week on it, which included multiple loads of laundry and gallons of water. Don't know what it sells for and I'm not selling this, but I'm putting "my" cost on this at about $20/yard. Surely a trip to the store would have been cheaper and less time/resource intensive.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 AM

Love the blocks and layouts being posted! I have all my blocks finished except I am short one which I have to create yet. I am starting sewing the sashings today. Since I am going with the horizontal layout, I have lots of leftovers that were meant for the corners and side triangles.
I have a couple blocks with lower contrast, and I'm very happy with the rest. I'll just put them in the bottom section where they won't be noticed as much. LOL
Here are photos of the 19 blocks I have finished.
I won't get much done today as I have dentist appt. then the gym if I'm feeling up to it. There's always tomorrow for sewing!

Name:	first 12 blocks.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	622218   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 more blocks.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	622219  
Old 01-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Iceblossom and wildyard: Very pretty blocks!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:49 PM

wildyard, I love your blocks!

Argh, I spent a long time pinning the last seams on the half blocks today, and then sewed six of them with no bobbin thread. So I have to re-pin and sew those tomorrow. Here are the six I sewed with bobbin thread.

Name:	IMG_4421_Fotor.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	622238