Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer Paper Piecing >

Freezer Paper Piecing

Freezer Paper Piecing

Old 01-31-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Freezer Paper Piecing

Oh boy. Just finished my first project using freezer paper to paper piece. What a treat. I'll probably never go back to the other methods.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:32 PM

It is very rewarding, isn't it? I eventually moved from freezer paper to vellum and a dab of glue stick. I find it's easier to fold on the lines with vellum.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:51 AM

Is that the one where you fold the paper back and don't sew in it, you sew beside it? I may have to look it up, I have never tried it before. Not tearing the paper would be awesome. I have used interfacing and not torn it out.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:53 AM

Yes, that's the method, no paper tearing.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:02 AM

I will have to try this.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
It is very rewarding, isn't it? I eventually moved from freezer paper to vellum and a dab of glue stick. I find it's easier to fold on the lines with vellum.
There are at least two ways to get that freezer paper folded easier. One is to put some straight edge on the line as you fold it. A piece of stronger paper works or a playing card.
The other is to put a ruler on that line and crease it lightly with a not-too-sharp instrument. A ball point pen would be great. Now the paper will fold easily exactly on the line.
You fold all the lines on the paper from edge to edge before you start sewing anything. We've used the same piece of paper to make 20 blocks. Freezer paper is strong and lasts a long time.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Is that the one where you fold the paper back and don't sew in it, you sew beside it? I may have to look it up, I have never tried it before. Not tearing the paper would be awesome. I have used interfacing and not torn it out.
This is the method I use. Those thin calendar cards handed out by your insurance agent make great folding lines!
Old 02-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

When I FPP I copy the pattern onto the freezer paper by sewing it with an unthreaded needle. I can make several pattern pieces at a time by layering the FP and hitting it with the tip of my iron, they all stay together and don't shift. Because the pattern is now perforated it folds very easy with the help of a post card.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:21 PM

Paper piecing with freezer paper is amazing. Mr. Domestic has a great tutorial on it on Youtube. His video is what inspired and taught me how to do it. I use my stitch in the ditch foot to follow the folded edge of the freezer paper. No more tearing the paper off after the block is done.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:52 AM
mim

Hey everybody -- thanks -- I've PP for years and never heard of this method. And I have a big roll of freezer paper tucked away in my closet.. For any of you who also decorate cakes -- freezer paper makes perfect icing cones to hold the tips.