Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sitting to Sew >

Sitting to Sew

Sitting to Sew

Old 02-02-2020, 02:39 AM

Default Sitting to Sew

The subject of chairs for sewing has been discussed a number of times on this forum.

There is nowhere near to me where I can try out a new chair and I’m loathed to buy one online then have the bother of having to refit if I don’t like it.

I think Back pain can be caused by the angle at which you sit to the machine so I looked for ways to improve this ...

My sewing machine is on a table and I have one of those clear Perspex ‘tables’ that fit round the machine to increase your working space. I love it but I’ve removed it and have moved my machine to the edge of the table.

I’ve bought an inexpensive back support designed for chairs and fitted silicone gliders to the chair legs so that I can move my chair easily on the carpeted floor.​​​​​​

Now when I start sewing I make sure I’m sitting directly in front of the needle. I pull my chair as close as is comfortable to the table and check that my back is resting against the back support. I try to relax my shoulders and sit up straight.

I no longer have long sessions or whole days spent sewing. If I am making blocks I sew a little - (15 minutes?) - then have a break while I do some chores.

It’s taken me a while to get used to this - but my back thanks me for it!

Old 02-02-2020, 03:58 AM

I've found that I need a kitchen timer, because otherwise I just sit and sew and might occasionally get up to do something. I set the timer for 30 minutes and do something standing up, when it goes off, I'll do sewing or something sitting down, then I continue on that way, since I'm in my sewing room most the day if I don't work that day. I've also read/heard that if you put a couple of those rubber "door stops" that are wedge shaped, under the back side of the machine, it will help on relieving neck pain.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:05 AM

Chairs for your sewing area is very important to avoid back pain, along with the short breaks where you get up and move around. Ergonomics and stretching are big in my workplace, and in many other work places, so it makes sense in our homes at our sewing machines too. I try to be aware of my body while sewing, shoulders and position to the needle like you mentioned. When I have an aware moment of my body, I often find my shoulders scrunched right up tight no matter how much I try to keep them relaxed. The lumbar supports like you mentioned you bought are used alot at my work place, and people do report relief of lower back strain, which makes sense at a sewing machine too, hope it helps you too.

I have read threads on this board about chairs and other options. I currently have a swivel office type chair that I can adjust the height on. I have also recently added bed risers to my table, and can actually stand up to sew now also, which has become my preferred. I had my haircut Thursday, and my beautician just bought a saddle seat, which she let me try out. I've read about people on here having them and the majority of them report they really like them for various reasons. I'm considering one for use at my mid-arm machine. I was just happy I was able to get on and off the seat without falling, I'm not the most graceful person.

When your comfortable and have less body aches when sewing, more projects get done, and obviously the quilting world has realized this, because when you go to one of the larger quilt shows, there are ergonomically correct rotary cutters, tables that adjust height, ergonomic chairs, heated and vibrating lumbar supports,cushions to sit on, and the list can go on. Quilting is fun, rewarding, and enjoyable, ect..... so be sure you take care of your body while doing it so we can do it for many years to come.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Being kind to your body is very important so we can enjoy sewing and quilting.👍
Old 02-02-2020, 05:30 AM

I found a chair from Costco for less than a hundred dollars that is great. It adjusts very well. It has a mesh back and seat. Also I can't sew with my machine setting on a table..It needs to set in a table to be at the right angle for my back. So a drop in table might help.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

I must do better. lately I've sewn a bit and when done my back is killing me. i go and stretch and maybe take a walk. I'm doing something wrong that is for certain. I will watch what i do later today and see if i can do better.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:02 AM

I used to have my sewing area arranged so I could sit and spin from machine to work surface to ironing board, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I had to deal with a lot of repetitive stress issues being a production office worker and careful body positioning is just one.

I have a small house but a tolerant husband and I have now deliberately moved things out of the sewing room and into the house. I do my layout on the queen sized bed in the master bedroom. My sewing room is the next small bedroom. The ironing board is currently set up in the living room, and I use the dining room table as my cutting area. It may not be much in concentrated movement, but I get my steps in through the day!

The other thing I have to make a conscious issue to do is change tasks every 15 minutes or so. For me, that usually means I'm working on a certain number of units at a time, I do believe in consistency so there may be multiple sets of repeat stages. So, I'll sew for about 15 minutes and then get up and press, go back and sew, and repeat. That also helps me break my ironing down into small stages, because I do not like having to do hours of it at a time!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 AM

A friend of mine who is a PT came over to the house to look at my sewing set up and to help me get the best position and comfort zone at each machine that I use. He also did this because he is a guest speaker at out guild meeting for Feb. Our back is of course one of the most noticed concerns when sewing but out hands can also take a beating when sewing. I am so working on getting the best out of what I have to work with here right now. You may want to consider having a PT come to your home and look over what you already have and help to make workable adjustments. Call a local Physical Therapy business and see if you can arrange for a single visit for this purpose. My friend told me that many are the home care company that will send someone out to teach you proper body mechanics for very little$$.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 AM

I sew downstairs and my ironing board is in another room- moving is important. My sewing chair is an armless office chair - $2 at a garage sale, fits me perfect.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM

After many years of neck/shoulder pain after sewing the biggest change I made was to recess my machine into a table. Wow, how that helped with getting rid of the pain.

I've always been very careful both at work and home about the position/height of my chair as, if it isn't set right it causes back pain so that was something I had under control with my sewing.