Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery >

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Bonnie Hunter's 2019-2020 Frolic Mystery

Old 02-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
I finished all the full and half blocks. Now on to the sashings.

I have a question:
From the photos of the reveal it looks like there are some small blue squares in the sashing strips but
I can't find any info.
Does anyone know? Or is it part of the finished design?
Thanks
On the last clue and reveal, there was an instruction to cut small blue squares, then they were not mentioned again. We figured out they were for the cornerstones in the sashing. They show in the photo but she doesn't talk about putting them in in the instructions.
That's how I used mine and I love the chain effect it gives along with those 4P and the neutrals.
The blue squares are 1.5".

Last edited by wildyard; 02-05-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:43 PM

Suzie - on Page 2 of Clue 9 you will see instructions: "From blue fabrics cut 40 squares 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". These are the cornerstones for the sashing strips.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:46 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
I finished all the full and half blocks. Now on to the sashings.

I have a question:
From the photos of the reveal it looks like there are some small blue squares in the sashing strips but
I can't find any info.
Does anyone know? Or is it part of the finished design?
Thanks
The blue squares are the cornerstones in the sashing. They are mentioned in the reveal instructions fairly early on. I think you need to cut 40 1.5 inch blue squares if you are making the full size.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, everyone!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:03 AM

They aren't really a lot of directions on the cornerstones, but in the very first part of the reveal clue she says (numbers still edited out)
"From blue fabrics cut XX squares to be used as cornerstones between the sashings. I chose a multitude from my 1 1/2’’ squares box already cut. You can go with one piece of yardage, or make it as scrappy as you wish."

edited: Glad to see you already got the answer and that you seem to be doing better with the project today.

I didn't quite make yesterday but I will be done with the extra blocks today/shortly!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- yes, I finally saw the part about the blue squares. Duh!

I didn't want to put this project aside because I was worried that I'd never finish it.

Today I will do the sashings and the blue squares!

Part of the reason I'm so buggy about this project is that I've been making a lot of things for my baby granddaughter and this has stopped me in my tracks.
She's the only person I can think about these days haha
Old 02-06-2020, 09:03 AM

Susie, you are doing great! Do you usually make queen sized tops or usually smaller projects? Just that alone is a big difference in a project like this. I prefer queen-sized, it is where my design sense is. I do have problems making/designing small tops. And I haven't seen my grandbundle Leon since Christmas, we're going to be up to 6 months soon -- so much fun!

I had one of those middle of the night nights but I managed to get back to at least a light sleep for a bit. While I was up I frog stitched (rip it rip it) a set of red triangles I had put on the wrong side of the goose. Got this far in the process and this was the first time I had messed that up. But I was having one of those realizations that everything was starting to get harder and maybe it was a good time to quit for the day. Those feelings are generally correct and should be followed sooner rather than later.

So today I have 3 completed sets of subunits for blocks. I have 3 more sets that mostly just have to have the geese made. Estimated time to complete somewhere under 2 hours... If I was in a race probably more like 30 minutes, but hey I'm setting my own schedule here. Then I have those border units to press, and that's the plan for today.

The plan is to lay out the finished blocks tomorrow and select the keepers for the top. I'm going to try not to actually lay it out yet but look more for a pleasing balance of blocks that can be micro-tuned in the next step. I intend to put the sashing on two sides of each of my blocks randomly before final placement. I've done all the fiddling I can with color selection and stuff, it's time to go back to random.

I can get this top together without stressing myself out by Valentines!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- no, for quilts I prefer larger sizes.
But I've been making my girl all kinds of other things: knitted sweaters, hats, etc, a mobile- one with hearts for Valentine's Day that I got from the Bernina website, stuff like that.
I never got into lap quilts. They are just too small even though we aren't tall people by any means. I usually don't make anything smaller than a twin size.

I'm trying to stitch my sashings but Mookie is in my chair and won't get out haha!!! My husband rolls his eyes when I tell him I can't get Mookie to move
Old 02-06-2020, 02:44 PM

I am slooowly putting blocks together today. Sat down with a bluprint class on machine basics, and kept pausing and actually applying the concepts to my machine instead of just going oh I already do that. Turns out I didn't already do that. At least not enough to do it properly. Swapping out to a fresh needle and obsessively rethreading my machine half a dozen times somehow made a difference in how easy it is to get the long seams together. I also found the spot where the triangle seams were catching as the whole block is under the needle, and smoothed it off with tape. And fixed my tension, because my auto-tension apparently does auto-tension properly anymore.

I have one more place where the machine tends to catch right at the beginning of the seams (it actually tore a small hole in a flying geese block yesterday, so that has become a half-block), but I saw something on Bonnie's site where she suggests moving the needle all the way to the right when piecing the flying geese her way because the wide feed dogs on newer machines sometimes distort the tips of the triangles when sewing seams. She also suggested a single hole stitch plate, but I don't have one of those for any of my machines. I will try changing the needle position on the next block and see if it makes it any easier.

I'm getting there....slowly but surely. Definitely happy to be making progress!
Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 PM

I never got into lap quilts. They are just too small even though we aren't tall people by any means. I usually don't make anything smaller than a twin size.

I'm trying to stitch my sashings but Mookie is in my chair and won't get out haha!!! My husband rolls his eyes when I tell him I can't get Mookie to move
See, Mookie needs a lap-sized quilt for themselves! Even 45" quilts can be strategically placed on the floor as pet-magnets, I swear it works!