Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help-with my machine (broken needle; error code)--Viking Sapphire/Tribute >

Help-with my machine (broken needle; error code)--Viking Sapphire/Tribute

Help-with my machine (broken needle; error code)--Viking Sapphire/Tribute

Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Help-with my machine (broken needle; error code)--Viking Sapphire/Tribute

HELP! I just started sewing today, and I get this message "main motor overloaded-please wait". Ok. I discovered I broke the needle. The tip of the needle came out with the thread. However, I cannot get the rest of the needle out (it's in needle down position). Every time I try to lift the pressure foot (no lever; it's a button); I get the same message. If I try to lift the needle (no needle up/down lever; it's a button) same message. I have the walking foot attached, so thought it would be easier to get to the needle if I took that off; but.....no because the needle won't come out of the hole in the foot. I cannot figure out a way to get ahold of the needle to remove it, and I keep freaking out about the main motor overloaded message. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you!!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM

I have an older Viking - not the same model as you but here goes. Have you turned the machine off/on again? Unplugged it and left it off for a period of time (hour or so)? Can you turn the handwheel manually when the machine is on? A friend has the Sapphire and had, if I remember correctly, a similar issue. Turning the machine on/off had no impact. She took it to the shop and they simply turned the handwheel manually and resolved the issue! Hope this helps and you don't need to take it for repair!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

I suggest you make a call to your dealer or to Viking, that error sound a little intense
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM

NJ Quilter--THANK YOU!!!!!! I had turned the machine on/off several times and kept having the same issue, and had unplugged it as well. I'm a bit embarrassed to say, I didn't think to turn the handwheel (in fact, I forgot it had one lol). When the things I was trying weren't working and I kept seeing that major error message; I guess I kinda panicked. I feel so embarrassed and dumb , but so glad you came to my rescue. Now hopefully she's a good girl and behaves correctly once I get this needle replaced.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM

It has happened occasionally to me on my Sapphire too. I shut off, unplug for awhile and it resets itself. It does that when it overheats too. A note of caution for you. If you happen to put in a single hole needle plate, be sure to make a note to yourself to change it before switching to a decorative stitch! I had that error happen because the needle kept hitting the plate. It was a few minutes before I realized why. Only when I lifted up the fabric to try to cut the thread and noticed it. I felt so stupid! Now it is slightly off center.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM

I had to laugh because I did the same thing - panic at that message on my Sapphire - it does have a learning curve this machine. But if you think about it it is just a message it does not mean our machines are burning up because the beauty of this machine is that it shuts itself down. I have been using my machine now for about a month and just love it.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM

I have a Sapphire, which is a great machine - but I love my vintage singer which will NEVER give a computer error message, lol.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM

My machine 930 has shot that error up....just wait or hit ok....it does have needles up downlink at foot picture near fix button...hit button it will move.,,,,it does take awhile to get used to the 930 .Love mine
Old 02-06-2020, 06:14 AM

I'm chuckling at you forgetting the handwheel. Been there, done that!!
Old 02-06-2020, 06:21 AM

I to have been threre and one that with the Juki I am currently using. I forget there is a wheel that can turn to resolve the needle breaking issue. I also keep a pair of needle nose jewelry pliers handy to get a hold of the needle shaft as my fingers are pretty clumsy theses days.