Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it? >

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Ever bought a new machine and then regretted it?

Old 01-24-2020, 06:17 AM

I hate to say it but, yes, I did buy an HQSS Sit Down machine five years ago and am now regretting it. The main problem with it may not have been the machine itself, but rather the operator ("Moi"). Here's the ting, I struggle to keep consistent stitches when I do FMQ. I paid extra to get the stitch Regulator for my HQSS. Turned out that I found it very awkward to use this external gadget for external stitch regulation. My FMQ looked worse than it did without the use of a stitch regulator. So I stopped using it. Then Bernina recently came out with their Bernina Q20 Sit Down machine and guess what? Not only does it have a built-in stitch regulator, but it also has 3 modes for stitch regulation. Long story made short, i bought a Bernina Q20 in December and I am loving it. If I ever figure out how to post pictures with the new Q Bd format , I will show off some of my FMQ. But that is another story. .Anyways, II confess that I am a "Bernina Snob" and love all 3 of my Bernina machines. My HQSS is for sale.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 AM

I bought my Janome 6500 and hated it from Day 1. All the reviews claimed it was wonderful but my machine should have been painted yellow. It was finally replaced with a new machine (which was much better) by Janome's head office. I was still unhappy and finally my friend who was tired of hearing about my machine woes, asked me if I could afford a new machine. I sold that 6500 for $500 just to get it out of the door and bought myself two new Juki machines the TL and the Exceed 600 for less than I paid for the Janome. I love my Juki machines and would advise any quilter who hates their machine, to start looking for a replacement.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:01 AM

Well, I bought a Tin Lizzie long arm a few years ago and now I understand they are technically out of business, so yea, regretting it now.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM

Yes, a new to me vintage celery green featherweight, wished I had taken the first one that was offered to me. The one I purchased is a little more nosier that I like for them to be plus the bobbin stitch is a little off. I'm going to keep it till my daughter talks me into selling it.

Have a happy sewing day

cherryb
Old 01-25-2020, 02:55 PM

When I was 12 my mom bought my first sewing machine. (I am now 67) I was adamant that I have a Singer so that is what I got.Thing was pain ---never worked right, No matter how I cleaned it out, had it serviced, changed needles, new bobbins,
etc, it was a pain. When my daughter was born, we traded it in and my DH bought me a Sears Kenmore. It is now
43 years old and still runs like a top. Only problem I ever had was I broke a bobbin case but that was totally my fault.
I have a Viking 500 and a Featherweight which I use, but if I need a strong machine for denim, home decor, tent fabric,
the Kenmore is who I go to. Only Singer I will ever have now is the Featherweight.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by LynnBBQ View Post
The only machine I regret on some level is a vintage Dressmaker machine I bought for $35 at an antique mall. It is super-cute but I did not realize at the time that it is a left-needle machine. I only make quilts, so I need a 1/4" seam but it is so hard to get with a left-needle machine. Oh well.... for $35 it can sit and look vintage.
I have 14 vintage machines and four of them are left-homing. I make a lot of scrappy quilts, so I use them when I piece quilts that don't absolutely need a 1/4" seam allowance, like simple patchwork and blocks. I butt my magnetic seam gauge up against the edge of the presser foot and go! All four machines do beautiful straight stitches, but three of them also do a zig-zag. That's all I really need or want a machine to do. I find that I really like the wider (3/8") seam allowance; I use a small stitch length and press my seams open. They have become my favorite piecing machines.

Give that Dressmaker a try - you may find that you really enjoy that machine!

Now to the OP's question - the only machine I regretted buying was a "new old" Kenmore, model 158.1914. This machine was from the early 70's and for vintage Kenmore collectors is considered to be the "holy grail" of Kenmore machines - the "best one they ever made", so of course I had to have it. <roll eyes>

I finally found one on Craigslist that I could afford - had all the cams, attachments and everything. Well, I hated it. As hard as I tried, I never bonded with that machine and I ended up giving that machine and another 70's era Kenmore that also used cams to a lady in my Sit and Sew group. She loves them and we're both happy!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I have 14 vintage machines and four of them are left-homing. I make a lot of scrappy quilts, so I use them when I piece quilts that don't absolutely need a 1/4" seam allowance, like simple patchwork and blocks. I butt my magnetic seam gauge up against the edge of the presser foot and go! All four machines do beautiful straight stitches, but three of them also do a zig-zag. That's all I really need or want a machine to do. I find that I really like the wider (3/8") seam allowance; I use a small stitch length and press my seams open. They have become my favorite piecing machines.

Give that Dressmaker a try - you may find that you really enjoy that machine!
I just might do that! Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
...Now to the OP's question - the only machine I regretted buying was a "new old" Kenmore, model 158.1914. This machine was from the early 70's and for vintage Kenmore collectors is considered to be the "holy grail" of Kenmore machines - the "best one they ever made", so of course I had to have it. <roll eyes>

I finally found one on Craigslist that I could afford - had all the cams, attachments and everything. Well, I hated it. As hard as I tried, I never bonded with that machine and I ended up giving that machine and another 70's era Kenmore that also used cams to a lady in my Sit and Sew group. She loves them and we're both happy!

I have that machine also. It is the most finicky of my machines. When it’s sewing well, I love it. When it’s being finicky (most of the time) I regret purchasing it. Fortunately I paid very little for it, so not a major regret.

Rob

Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM

I have bought a few machines that I changed my mind about a year or two later. But there was nothing at all wrong with them. I learned over a few years of trying different things what I need and prefer, and only have space in the sewing room for a couple SM. I loved ‘em all, and think fondly of them.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:51 PM

I had a Bernina from the 1990's, but I thought I needed a new machine with a wide throat to try FMQ. I bought a Janome Horizon 9400. I did not realize it until after I had paid for it that it was a computer machine. Yes, I regret it, but I have it; so I have contacted another dealer, and I am driving 60 miles one way to take lessons from her on how to use the machine. I do not think there is any problem with the machine. The problem is that I am not a whiz with computers. If there is a next time, I will ask questions before I write a check.