Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New here with a question >

New here with a question

New here with a question

Old 02-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Default New here with a question

I do try to research before asking questions, but I haven't found an answer to this. When determining the dimension between quilting lines (whether relying on manufacturer's recommendations or not!), what about parallel stitching lines? Obviously if these are very close, like 2" or less, there would be no crosswise stitching lines needed. But what if I'm stitching 4 or 6" apart, or say on the 4" wide border, do I need stitching lines that divide the long parallel lines?
Here is a photo (sorry the upload failed for unknown reason) of what I'm currently quilting in the ditch in black DecoBob. Right now I have 2" to 6" spacing on verticals. I can add more verticals if it's really necessary. What I don't know is do I need more that would be going across, to divide the long parallels. I could add that SID in different thread.
So (1) general question about cross-spacing, and (2) what do you think about my current situation? Thanks to all on this friendly forum.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 AM

The photo that now attaches
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200106_60.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	622829  
Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

First of all welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Your quilt is lovely the colors are so rich! Of course the final decision is alway yours. I would be adding some FMQ to fill in the spaces. You risk some shifting of the bat otherwise. SID is also a good idea I just don't think you would have enough quilting horizontally for your quilt. There was just posted a great thread on how close your quilting should be. The Batting says, “10” spacing . This may give you some good ideas on spacing. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Thanks so much! I will add more quilting.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Lovely top! I would stitch in the ditch the coloured sections and then the stitching lines in the pieced rows. If you stitched down all the black sashing it should be enough quilting for most modern batts but you could add some extra quilting in the coloured unpieced rows if you wanted. If you match the thread colour to the fabric, it should not distract from the design.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks Tartan! Good advice, and I am working on that very thing now. Then I'll have to come up with some quilting for the border.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:12 PM

A warm welcome to the board from Southern Indiana! I know you'll get your answers here...wonderful (and knowledgeable) people on the board!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 PM

Hi & welcome to the boards. Just wanted to say your quilt is pretty with all the fabrics!
Old 02-26-2020, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Do you have a serpentine stitch on your machine? I often use it because it gives more movement to the quilt without having to FMQ. Your top is very pretty.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:34 AM

You could piano key the border.