Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question >

To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question

To assemble or not to assemble, that is the question

Old 03-05-2020, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I would store the 4 sets of blocks but leave one set out to motivate myself to sash and complete one at a time.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Do you want the completed quilts? If not, why not donate the blocks to a group who will turn the blocks into quilts and get them to a needy recipient?

My thought is if you store the blocks and set them aside so you can make more blocks (the process you like doing) you will end up with boxes upon boxes of completed blocks that will never become tops, let alone quilts. If you honestly feel you will assemble the blocks into a top and complete it into a quilt, there is absolutely no reason you can't store them as blocks with the fabric you will use for sashing, border and binding and the backing if you are particular about that.

We all have favorite parts of quiltmaking and parts we don't like at all. Some of us persevere through to get the completed end product, a usable quilt or wall hanging. Others are perfectly content to have unfinished tops that may or may not get around to being quilted. Loads of us work on several projects at once. I have WIPS and UFOS in all phases of construction from completed top waiting to be quilted to just the fabric and pattern set aside and everything in between. Once a quilt is quilted I do continue to work on only that quilt until it is completed by putting the binding on and a label and a hanging sleeve. I suspect there may be quite a few out there like you, who only like making the smaller units, the blocks or maybe even parts of blocks. That is pretty obvious from the numerous postings on the QB of thrift store finds of blocks and partially assembled blocks. If you have no desire to have the completed quilt, I say donate them to a guild who will complete them and get them to a worthy cause. If you do want the completed quilt store them as blocks. If you don't ever pull them out after five or more years, donate.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
For me, it comes down to a bad back and the reality of being able to sit for only a limited amount of time each day. Piecing is the perfect activity (sit a little, stand a little), whereas quilting and binding is sit, sit, sit, sit some more, and push a heavy quilt around (if machine quilting), which I can only do for 1/2 hour every other day. So finishing quilts happens much more slowly than creating tops, and the tops pile up. Personally, I feel no guilt about works in progress, but I am in awe of those who work on one quilt at a time from start to finished quilt! That is my ideal, but I am thankful that I'm at least able to piece consistently.
I am an odd ball in that I finish everything. So I would figure out a way. There are a lot of quilt as you go methods that would allow you to do one join at a time. You wouldn’t be tied to the machine and wouldn’t have to push a big quilt through. Many of them don’t need hand sewing. Leah Day has a method. There are more. That’s what I would do.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Maybe you need to team up with someone who likes quilting but hates piecing! I am a big fan of collaborative creation teams like that. Sounds like you are 1/3 of a piecer-assembler-quilter team...you could even add a binder : )
Old 03-05-2020, 01:51 PM

I use skirt hangers that have 2 clips. Fold the completed tops inside out, clip them and hang them in a closet until you get the backing ready.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:07 PM

Talking

" if you only find pleasure in making blocks, then make blocks. No one said you had to make quilts. The completed blocks will sell well in your estate sale."

This struck me as funny but true!

Enjoy making your blocks. Find a buddy to put them together if need be.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 PM

If you are just not ready to put your blocks together store them safely in blue tissue paper as you would a wedding dress. Colors are less likely to fade and being properly stored will make all the difference when you are ready to put them together. Who knows you may someday have a quilting party where friends get together and make quilt tops or prep and sandwich quilts. For now it may be better to put them away nicely.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM

you have no obligation to finish the tops or the overall quilt. "quilting" should be an enjoyable hobby and not one you force yourself through. do what you enjoy. I'm sure there are people who hate piecing and love the quilting, and you would make a perfect team!
Old 03-05-2020, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

My difficulty is in starting a project (deciding on pattern or design and fabric), but once I've started cutting the fabric I press toward completion. I don't have unfinished tops and would find no pleasure in making blocks and putting them away. But if that's what you enjoy doing, then I agree that it's easier to store flat blocks than it is to store a pressed quilt top.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:28 PM

Smile Do what you need to do

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
you have no obligation to finish the tops or the overall quilt. "quilting" should be an enjoyable hobby and not one you force yourself through. do what you enjoy. I'm sure there are people who hate piecing and love the quilting, and you would make a perfect team!
If you like making blocks, great. There are people who like to make blocks, others who like to plan them, others enjoy the quilting. I like to make blocks, and then I do Quilt as You Go, which allows me to still be doing blocks. There are ways to join them that aren’t hard to do, Leah Day has great ways to join them on her site. I find that doing QAYG allows me to make beautiful reversible quilts, no plain boring back. And I can use up smallish pieces to make the beautiful backs.
There are groups who would complete the blocks and give to someone who could use them. So, do what you need to do to make It best for you.