Cancellations

Old 03-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Default Cancellations

Anyone know of quilt event cancellations due to health issues?
Old 03-08-2020, 09:24 AM

I saw someone posed on here about one in Washington that was due to that new virus. I wonder where all these new viruses are coming from. Does some outfit make them to scare people n kill? Never used to be all this stuff happening.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

No event has been cancelled for large groups because of the flu and the flu virus is much more dangerous to children and anyone with a unhealthy immune system. This new virus isn't airborne so why all the mask wearing? If someone has it in your family then the whole family has to be quarantined for 14 days? Not may working adults can do that and survive the financial ruin. I read that most adults will not go get tested if they or another family member gets a fever. My grandson has a fever this morning. No one in the family is in panic mode to run to get tested.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 AM

I would check at the CDC (centers for disease control I think) for information.....viruses mutate all the time and occasionally a new one arises.....the flu virus really badly mutated in 1918 and became known as the Spanish Flu....it literally killed millions of people world wide....my dad's dad passed away from it in Wisconsin and left a young wife with three children....Occasionally, a virus that infects animals will change enough to us humans end up with it....and this is what is one apparently did....oh....and while it is not as "airborne" as say measles......it is transmitted by tiny droplets that travel about about 6 feet when a person sneezes, coughs, or even talks....problem with this one, is that is new and NOBODY has immunity to it.....so that is way so many people are catching it....and this virus apparently also can live on surfaces too for a while and if you touch the surface...like a door knob...and then touch your face, you can get it that way....seems to more severely affecting older folks like me....with pre-existing conditions like me....so yeah....I am trying to limit my exposures and avoid large crowds even my quilt guild for now....doesn't make me happy...but that is the way it is for a while...I worked as an RN for about nine years and later had experience with both the TB and Bloodborne pathogen issues....both of which are harder to catch than this one. oh...and if you want to read more.....look up what happened to Native Americans when Europeans brought measles here and there was no immunity to it....also the Black Plague in Europe in the dark ages....about 1/3 of the population died then if I recall right....

Last edited by sewingpup; 03-08-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I would check at the CDC (centers for disease control I think) for information.....viruses mutate all the time and occasionally a new one arises.....the flu virus really badly mutated in 1918 and became known as the Spanish Flu....it literally killed millions of people world wide....my dad's dad passed away from it in Wisconsin and left a young wife with three children....Occasionally, a virus that infects animals will change enough to us humans end up with it....and this is what is one apparently did....oh....and while it is not as "airborne" as say measles......it is transmitted by tiny droplets that travel about about 6 feet when a person sneezes, coughs, or even talks....problem with this one, is that is new and NOBODY has immunity to it.....so that is way so many people are catching it....and this virus apparently also can live on surfaces too for a while and if you touch the surface...like a door knob...and then touch your face, you can get it that way....seems to more severely affecting older folks like me....with pre-existing conditions like me....so yeah....I am trying to limit my exposures and avoid large crowds even my quilt guild for now....doesn't make me happy...but that is the way it is for a while...I worked as an RN for about nine years and later had experience with both the TB and Bloodborne pathogen issues....both of which are harder to catch than this one. oh...and if you want to read more.....look up what happened to Native Americans when Europeans brought measles here and there was no immunity to it....also the Black Plague in Europe in the dark ages....about 1/3 of the population died then if I recall right....
Thanks for your helpful information. I second your advice to check with the CDC. Our worst enemy is incorrect information and lack of information. If we all follow the advice of the CDC and our family doctor and community health authorities, we can limit the spread of a virus that can be incapacitating and/or deadly for a segment of the population. If it spreads widely, it will disrupt our economy in a very negative way so that we all will be affected in some way.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:55 AM

Yes, check the CDC website. While you're there, compare the rate of infection and death with the last flu season. CoVid19 is a blip compared to the last flu season where at least (CDC numbers aren't complete yet) 18,000 people died of it. As someone said in the other thread, this isn't a zombie apocalypse. If people would turn their TV's off and not listen to the news people who are just trying to get ratings, no one would much notice it. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, avoid large groups if you are immune suppressed or otherwise vulnerable and you'll be fine. Does anyone remember the bird flu panic and few years ago?
Old 03-08-2020, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
....it is transmitted by tiny droplets that travel about about 6 feet when a person sneezes, coughs, or even talks....problem with this one, is that is new and NOBODY has immunity to it.....so that is way so many people are catching it....and this virus apparently also can live on surfaces too for a while and if you touch the surface...like a door knob...and then touch your face, you can get it that way....seems to more severely affecting older folks like me....with pre-existing conditions like me....so yeah....I am trying to limit my exposures and avoid large crowds
My doctor and the hospital just ordered me to stay in the house from Friday thru Tuesday when I am having my gall bladder removed. I can say I am not liking it very much. I had planned on being in Church today and tomorrow running some last minute errands. Well this whipped this idea out the window.
The good thing however is I have this quilt that I am working on and this is keeping me busy for the most part and when I am taking a break for sewing I can come back over here and play.I still have about 100 more 9 patches to do for this quilt. It is taking shape too. I will get as much done before my surgery so I can take a couple days off to recover and not feel like I abandoned this quilt.
I believe the media is hyping the Coronavirus up because there have been a lot of slow news days. Panicking people is just unjustified.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:28 PM

good explanation, SewingPup. In addition, while the # of people that have died from flu this year is far greater than the # of people that have died from CoVid 19, what is important to remember are 2 things: 1)the % of deaths with CoVid19 compared to flu is about double 2) there is very little known about the long term with CoVid 19--will it decrease seasonally like flu does or will it continue to infect people; when/if a vaccination will be readily available--right now in the US accurate test kits are still very scarce--as of yesterday, Missouri only had 5! So unlike cold/flu symptoms you might normally get and go to the doc and they do a routine Dx test to rule out flu, with CoVid 19 at this point, you have to be pretty darn sick to actually qualify to get tested.
The CDC as of yesterday is saying do not travel to China,Iran, Italy, Korea and caution about travel to Japan--but also say to check daily. They are also saying, especially for those age 50 yr or older with chronic health issues, to avoid events of large crowds and that the face masks available (unless you have access to the N95 healthcare workers special masks) really won't prevent infection, but if you are suspecting you are infected, wearing a mask may help those around you. Actually, they suggest that if you think you might be infected, do not go to ER or doctors, call instead and ask for them to send public health worker out to assess first.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
My doctor and the hospital just ordered me to stay in the house from Friday thru Tuesday when I am having my gall bladder removed. I can say I am not liking it very much. I had planned on being in Church today and tomorrow running some last minute errands. Well this whipped this idea out the window.
The good thing however is I have this quilt that I am working on and this is keeping me busy for the most part and when I am taking a break for sewing I can come back over here and play.I still have about 100 more 9 patches to do for this quilt. It is taking shape too. I will get as much done before my surgery so I can take a couple days off to recover and not feel like I abandoned this quilt.
I believe the media is hyping the Coronavirus up because there have been a lot of slow news days. Panicking people is just unjustified.
yep ...good thing we have quilting to keep us same....and I am glad I have such a huge stash, lots of thread, lots of rotary cutter blades, and a couple of extra sewing machine.....I should be able to hole up for a while....I have gotten some extra canned goods, dish soap, laundry soap, and of course.....the much needed toilet paper.....I am hoping this isn't as bad as they say....cdc and who are still collecting data to see how deadly this one is...early indications are about 30 times as deadly as the flu once it gets going....thankfully it seems to be not hitting the young ones too bad and it is us oldsters who are most at risk.. Hopefully as more gets to be known, the death rate will go down because mild cases will be counted that were going undetected before as people thought they had a cold or the plain old flu.....stay safe everyone...hopefully, there will be more usefull data soon.......
Old 03-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
No event has been cancelled for large groups because of the flu and the flu virus is much more dangerous to children and anyone with a unhealthy immune system. This new virus isn't airborne so why all the mask wearing? If someone has it in your family then the whole family has to be quarantined for 14 days? Not may working adults can do that and survive the financial ruin. I read that most adults will not go get tested if they or another family member gets a fever. My grandson has a fever this morning. No one in the family is in panic mode to run to get tested.
The Quilters Anonymous show scheduled for March 13-15 was cancelled (I posted the notice earlier) you can www.quiltersanonymous.org. Also the Emerald City Comic Con has cancelled their event scheduled in Seattle this weekend www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com. The SXSW festival in Texas and a music festival have been cancelled in Florida. The Northshore School District has closed all schools (online classes only) until April and University of Washington is closed for rest of semester (online classes).

The virus can be spread by respiratory droplet from infected people when they breath, cough or sneeze which is why the best defense is to wash hands and avoid touching your face, mouth, nose and eyes. It is not known how long the virus can live on a surface; I have heard everything from a few hours to a few days.

The outbreak at the Kirkland nursing home is about 20 miles south of my home and it has resulted in 17 deaths, the residents and staff have still not been tested and this is a week after the outbreak occurred, they have not been supplied with tests. There is now 19 total deaths in WA state.

The health district in King and Snohomish Counties have suggested to avoid events where over 50 people may be gathered. The biggest problem is that most of the population (80%) will not be affected by severe symptoms; will be like cold or flu or no symptoms at all but they can carry the virus to those who are most at risk. The Seattle Times and Everett Herald are good sources if you want to know more about what is happening here in Washington State. We are ground zero has first reported case of Covid-19 and first deaths. This is the reason for the quarantining of people who have been in contact with those who have been diagnosed with virus. My husband has COPD and this could be deadly for him as my friends also who have heart conditions or asthma, I will be curtailing my activities until things get under control and washing my hands often.

Sorry this is long but this is a serious virus that we still don't know enough about and there are not enough tests even if you wanted one or any vaccine available. It will be a hardship on any who are told to quarantine as many people do not have sick leave or will lose their job if they aren't there but this should not be an excuse to go to work and possibly infect others, employers need to step up and help their employees. People over profits.