Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tee Shirt quilt >

Tee Shirt quilt

Tee Shirt quilt

Old 03-09-2020, 04:50 AM

Default Tee Shirt quilt

I have a Tee shirt quilt on my longarm that I am currently picking stitches from. Some of the tee shirts seem to have come loose from the stabilizer backing, so the tee shirt is loose and is getting pleats and ripples when I quilt it. I'm thinking I'll have to take it completely off the frame and re-iron the stabilizer. Has anyone ever had this happen? Will the stabilizer stick to the tee shirt again if I re-iron it? This quilt has been my nemesis from day one! I can't wait to finish it and be done with it, but I keep putting it off cause I just don't know what to do with it. I just want to quilt again!
Old 03-09-2020, 05:30 AM

Much is going to depend on your stabilizer. I have had to pull out a Tee Shirt Quilt before and it did not stick. It is sitting in pieces right now. A Tee Shirt that I used a heavier stabilizer on held better but not all the way. I was able to complete that one. Just as a thought you might want to use a light brushing of Elmer's Washable School Glue in the areas that the stabilizer has come loose to complete the quilting. let it dry for 24 hrs since it is on the frame you won't be able to iron it. After washing it see how it comes out? Press down the area where the stabilizer is and see how it goes I would do this only as a last resort. Other than that you may have to take out the area and put a new piece of stabilizer on it.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 AM

This might be a crazy idea, but have you thought of using a hypodermic needle to put the Elmers where it's needed? (The idea just popped in my head.)

bkay
Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I am not a long armer but I think there isn’t much point to take it off if you can’t restick the stabilizer. I might hand thread baste the block to the stabilizer to prevent movement and quilt the heck out of the block. The thread basting could be snipped and pulled out after quilting. Sounds like a nightmare and I hope you can get it done and move on!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:00 AM

Thank you all so much!! Great suggestions that make me confident that I will be able to finish this nightmare!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:07 AM

The T-shirts I used for my quilt were used, not new, and I had no idea how much fabric softener had been used on them. In fact, I can't remember if I used it when I pre-washed them, lol. I didn't know it would make a difference. But it sure does, and I bet that's why the stabilizer is coming off those shirts. I agree with trying the elmer's glue stick, and if you can do it, you may want to try some quilt basting spray. I, too pray for your nightmare to end.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much themadpatter! I bet that is the problem too! I was thinking of trying basting spray myself. I'm just not sure how to go about it. I thought about just spraying the back of the quilt top directly onto the stabilizer and hoping it will go through to the t-shirt to make it stick together. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.