Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to make a floating Block >

How to make a floating Block

How to make a floating Block

Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 PM

The far right quilt was the comfort quilt for our quilting friend. The friend is an improvisational quilter and likes stuff "wonky" and I suggested some kind of wonky 9-patch. One of the ladies had a stack of swapped 9-patch blocks that weren't so exactly sized/constructed and we decided to frame them like that so they could be trimmed down and used, the friend actually made some of those 9-patches. We used a funky vintage "atomic" fabric for the sashing because it would be appreciated and felt the corner stones held things together pretty well but we didn't use any commercial pattern or directions for the layout.

Blocks were was done using the Twist & Turn directions. Time was of the essence (lumpectomy!) and so we met together and shared our solids then each took a few blocks to frame overnight, using solids because it is the easiest. Two of us made the blocks tilt in one direction and two of us the other, just so we could keep on track. You get tilts in different directions from how you cut your rectangles -- solids can be used as either but you have to be careful with prints, it is easiest to make them all lean one way but more fun for them to dance!

The picture next to it shows my untrimmed blocks used in that quilt. They were constructed as I showed in the first diagram, with a partial seam on the first piece. It's easy to remember how to put on the piece because right sides together the right angles of the block and the long skinny triangle will fit together. I put a piece of template plastic over one of them in the picture, but the book had a nifty method of trimming them that was like magic and that I don't remember well.

This framing technique works well for samplers or swaps when the blocks aren't all the same size. Put on an over large frame and trim it down a tad until all are consistent.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 03-26-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:02 PM

Here's a slightly better diagram, my handwriting was never very good to begin with and has only gotten worse over the years but hope it makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wonky frame diagram.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	623664   Click image for larger version

Name:	wonky diagram.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	599.8 KB
ID:	623668  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 03-26-2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: fixed the diagram, use picture 2
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Sorry to keep bumping this up, but I really do recommend that book, here it is again in case it got lost on the other page. Her directions are wonderful and the mathematics are awesome. Been thinking of getting my own copy and some are quite affordable! Even though I know how to do partial seams, it's hard for me to figure out how big the rectangles should be. The answer is usually wider and longer than my first attempts without using directions.

Twist & Turn by Sharon Squire Craig.
https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Turn-Fr.../dp/1885588100
Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Sorry to keep bumping this up, but I really do recommend that book, here it is again in case it got lost on the other page. Her directions are wonderful and the mathematics are awesome. Been thinking of getting my own copy and some are quite affordable! Even though I know how to do partial seams, it's hard for me to figure out how big the rectangles should be. The answer is usually wider and longer than my first attempts without using directions.

Twist & Turn by Sharon Squire Craig.
https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Turn-Fr.../dp/1885588100
Thank you Iceblossom! Your posts are always inspiring and useful. Have ordered the book!