2020 Fabric Moratorium

Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 PM

WMUTeach, Black Diamonds is wonderful!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 AM

Still making progress, still wish I had the perfect grey in my stash but moving on without it!

I have the two yellow triangles on each of the blocks, today is putting on the black triangles. I've been able to slide around my ruler a bit to avoid having any of the Black triangles turn into yellow, since I had a couple spare inches per strip that's working fine, getting the same 4 squares/8 triangles as I did from the yellow where I didn't have to think, care of worry a bit.

Picture 1 shows the four sets of completed 10" inner blocks. Picture 2 shows the lone finished block, I think it is 14" finished?? Easy enough to measure even if it hasn't set in my brain yet.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5634.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	868.6 KB
ID:	623957   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5637.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	623958  
Old 04-03-2020, 03:59 PM

Love the Minions, Iceblossom!
Old 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM

This is the week-end for my guild retreat. We of course are staying in place but met twice today online, Zoom, while we cut pressed, chattered on and showed what we were working on. I finished one top that was a layer cake and it is ready to be quilted.Batting and backing from stash too. I am in the process of creating a second top from another layer cake, different pattern. Will try to snap some photos tomorrow when the sun is out. Whoo Hoo! more out of my stash.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 AM

Progress made and now a design pondering day. These Minion blocks were based on my Cherry Goose Project, except larger and instead of Flying Geese rectangle, I made the "candy kiss" rectangle. Cherry Goose was set on point with alternate squares, the Minions is how the project was originally designed using the setting triangles on the center block part to achieve that on-point look with a normal flat setting.

So that's the first picture, my overlaid (bigger) block on top of the previous project.

Then we have how the project was designed to look.

And final shot is making QST units instead of solid looking blocks. At first I didn't like the way all the dashes lined up but I might play a bit more with this concept.

Instead of a border, I'm thinking I need to make one more set of 6 blocks and just have it edge-to-edge with black binding. I have one more length row of 4 blocks that doesn't show in the shots.

Name:	100_5641.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	623983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minion Design.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	623984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minion Alt.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	623985  
Old 04-04-2020, 11:55 AM

Iceblossom, I just love that you have used the Minion fabric with the elegant florals....brilliant!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:57 PM

I've decided that the best way to finish this project with the fabric I have is to make an additional row and set it as the alternate option. That will make it a usable 70x84. Good size for a blanket, little short for a top.

I know it doesn't bother some people but to me in the "as designed/alternating squares" this needs to be in even numbers of blocks, 4 across is good, 6 across is good but 5 across is not so good. By lining them up in the old "Cracker" sort of format it won't bother me to have 5 columns.

Adding those 6 blocks changes my already calculated yardages a bit but not that much. Without fussy cutting it takes a bit over half a yard and under a yard for each of the two fabrics used in the "kiss" piece. It may not look like it at first glance but there are equal amounts of both fabrics. You need about the same for the bars, cut 3x10.5". Then about 2 yards each of the setting fabrics.

I bought the yellow, black, and grey fabrics together at the thrift store and working with the large print especially was a challenge to me. My own taste in fabrics runs very much to traditional "tiny vine-y" calicos and I have to work hard at appreciating and using large scale prints. For me, the Minion print was large although it is more medium in comparison with the huge of the black fabric. With my visual acuity, I don't see much difference from a different at first looking at either the Black Floral or the Minion prints, it takes a bit for me to recognize the shapes in either.

My original concept would have been much lighter and grey, and I was looking in my stash for things more like these two prints or the greys. But the only pieces that came out to play that were enough yardage were the Minions reporting for duty -- so I decided why not? They fit my design criteria of black and white and grey and yellow. Both of the options shown here failed both the quantity and the perfect color blend, but you see more of what I had in mind.

Name:	100_5649.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	788.2 KB
ID:	623987  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-04-2020 at 01:58 PM. Reason: forgot the picture!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:32 PM

I'm almost finished cleaning out my house so it can be listed & shown. That means my days will soon be empty of purpose. So, to make them meaningful, & because all my fabric is in storage waaaay at the back behind all the big furniture, I'm deliberately stepping off the train. I ordered 2 blue jelly rolls & 2 white ones. Then I realized all my thread is with my fabric so I had to order thread, too. I just hope my old Singer has a bobbin in the case so I can sew. We did bring it to my daughter's house once the original sale was cancelled. I will pick up at Joann's when it's ready. I did get a good deal on the jelly rolls with a 25% coupon on the order. I consider this an emergency exemption & I feel no guilt.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:21 PM

Iceblossom: You are making wonderful progress!

Conchalea: You need to have something to do. . Keeping my fingers crossed there is a bobbin in your Singer.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:27 PM

Thanks, Retired. My machine is in the garage, buried at the moment. When I unearth it I'll give a status update.