Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Bobbin tangles >

Help! Bobbin tangles

Help! Bobbin tangles

Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 PM

Default Help! Bobbin tangles

Hello all! New here, as I just purchased a sewing machine this week. I have a Baby Lock BL9. I’ve threaded and re-threaded my bobbin a million times and each time, when I attempt to sew, bobbin thread becomes tangled. I’m so frustrated with myself and this process, but don’t want to give up. I’ve heard it may be a tension issue? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:23 PM

Check your manual for loading the bobbin. Typically with the BL machines, let the bobbin thread hang down like a “p” shape.

The bobbin at the top, thread will be rolling off the bobbin on the left side. The insert the bobbin into the bobbin case. Check though that this correct for your machine.

Also thread the machine with the presser foot up. The thread doesn’t catch if the foot is down.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:43 PM

Welcome! Are you holding the top thread and bobbin thread taut for the first few stitches? It also helps to have a “leader” and “ender” piece. Bonnie Hunter website explains that well. When you are piecing a quilt, try to chain piece as much as possible. Sewing and quilting is a wonderful hobby. This site is so helpful as is YouTube. Glad you’re not giving up.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Check that you have threaded the machine correctly and that the bobbin thread is coming off the bobbin in the right direction. As mentioned, hold the thread tails as you begin to sew. I sew with 50 weight thread and make sure your needle is properly inserted.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:42 AM

Try googling a video for your machine. Sometimes, seeing is easier than written instructions. There are several.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 PM

If the tangle is on the bottom of the fabric, it's usually a problem with the top thread. Have you re-threaded the top thread? I've been in the habit of holding my thread tails for the first 2 stitches, since Jr. High. It's a good habit to get into.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

Most likely the top isn't threaded right. Rethread the machine step by step using the manual.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:48 AM

So sorry you are having problems. As with the others, I'd watch a video and pull out my book and start by rethreading completely. Pay attention to which way the thread comes off the spool (front or back), some machines are fussy about that.

Go ahead and replace the needle, even a brand new needle can have a flaw in it.

Try a different bobbin case, making sure what you have is correct for your machine. Some bobbins seem the same diameter but might have a height or other difference. Make sure your thread is coming off the bobbin correctly. The way my cheapo Brother is designed, it is made so it's pretty hard to put the bobbin in wrong, my vintage machine there is zero difference looks- wise or in placement, but it definitely makes a difference in ease depending on which way the thread is coming off. My Bernina definitely has a right way and doesn't let me do it any other way because of the proprietary bobbins. Some machines don't care so much, but we should try to be consistent in whatever we do.

Try a different thread. I've had spools that looked ok but I found crossed threads or other manufacturing defects that caused problems. Some machines like different threads, my vintage machine didn't care at all -- but as my friend says, the Bernina she gave me prefers Aurifil and can get fussy.

Sometimes in double checking everything I find that I did do something wrong... un-noticed but detrimental like I changed the foot height to deal with a heavy fabric repair and haven't set it back to the defaults/quilting set-up. Shouldn't have issues with a new machine but just in case, find out if the foot pressure is adjustable and if it is in the correct position. Likewise, that the foot plate is on correctly and securely.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You will find many very helpful folks here. As far as your bobbin issue it does sound like it is not threaded into the machine properly. I have a number of Brothers machines and they all thread the same way. Your manual is you best friend with this issue. If you continue to have a problem after following closely the manual I would call the customer service tech department and have them walk you through it. If that doesn't work the maybe there is a problem with the machine. Mostly it is a threading issue. Welcome again to the QB. I hope to see a great deal of you here.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Missouri.

I hope you can get this resolved so you can enjoy this machine.