Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Twister tool question >

Twister tool question

Twister tool question

Old 04-04-2020, 05:46 AM

With the cost of this pattern I would call the LQS an let them know of the problem. They would most likely help you out. This will be one very beautiful and fun quilt with it is finished quilt. I can't wait to see it.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:14 AM

I have 2 different sizes of the twister tool and I have had them for a l-o-n-g time. Still haven't figured out how to use them. I also was told there is a lot of fabric waste to this. I have seen some adorable wall hangings made out of these tools but it still confuses me (which doesn't take much to confuse me)!! I agree with everyone else that you need to call the LQS and make them aware that you are quite short of fabric. This happened to me when I bought a BOM and I went back to my LQS and they were very understandable and accomodating in giving me extra fabric. Good luck to you and please share a picture of your project as it looks so cute.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
If you have the 4.5 inch twister tool, it will not work with 4 inch squares. You need to cut all around the outside of the tool to get your little blocks. Most of them say to cut with scissors. I used my rotary cutter, but did not cut completely to the end of the cut. After the cut was made in the other direction, then a scissors made quick work of that last little bit. Some pattern or directions also produce a tremendous amount of waste. The way I was taught, there is only waste around the outside.
The twister tool/ruler itself measures 2.25". That's why I wasn't sure if I could use the 4" blocks or not.

Getting ready to email shop now.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 AM

I too have made several projects with the twister tool. I love the look of these projects! In my projects I have pieced a grid of sorts and then used the tool to cut up that grid into squares that make the pattern picture. I too would call the shop if it is still open in these turbulent times. You are probably not the only one with this issue!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
The twister tool/ruler itself measures 2.25". That's why I wasn't sure if I could use the 4" blocks or not. Getting ready to email shop now.

Look carefully at the directions and you will see why the 4 inch squares won't work with that ruler. Good luck, and happy quilting.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Look carefully at the directions and you will see why the 4 inch squares won't work with that ruler. Good luck, and happy quilting.
Haven't heard back from shop yet. But I did finally have a brainstorm, lol...draw it out on paper!! So...4" cut equals 3.5" finished squares. I drew out 2 rows of 3.5" squares x almost 3 squares wide. Placed the tool on the drawn intersecting lines and it appears as though there is plenty of space between the twister squares??

For some reason I'm not able to attach the file of the diagram. Maybe another post will fix that problem.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:20 AM

ahh...you could always just stitch together a sample out of the four inch squares and just double check.....
Old 04-07-2020, 08:57 AM

One thing I found that was difficult for me when cutting the "twists" is that you have to be very careful not to over cut as that slice will end up in the seam allowance of the next piece. And that was with having a bit more room to cut. I started not cutting all the way to the edge and then finished it up with scissors. It's not easy to fix a cutting mistake with this pattern.

So if you are going skimpy but using the same size tool, be super extra careful with this.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:13 AM

When I drew it all out on paper it appears I have almost .75" between the twister squares using a 4" square so I think I'll be okay. But I can also see the advantage of cutting w/scissors vs the rotary cutter! I did get all the silly squares trimmed to 4" yesterday. Today I plan on being able to lay out the grid and then start sewing the initial rows together.

I had no clue when I purchased this pattern/kit that the process was so tedious! Holy smokes! Not sure that I'm likely to do another quilt of this type.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
One thing I found that was difficult for me when cutting the "twists" is that you have to be very careful not to over cut as that slice will end up in the seam allowance of the next piece. And that was with having a bit more room to cut. I started not cutting all the way to the edge and then finished it up with scissors. It's not easy to fix a cutting mistake with this pattern.
Yes, Cathy. This is what I was talking about in post #9. My pattern was supposed to be cut with scissors; the whole thing. No waste that way; but I figured out how to cut most of it with the rotary cutter, as you said. Don't cut to the end. I ended up with cute little "wash line" groups of squares that needed to be snipped apart. I had fun doing it.