Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
assembling quilt, back & batting >

assembling quilt, back & batting

assembling quilt, back & batting

Old 04-09-2020, 05:59 AM
mkc

After many years of crawling around on the floor and spray basting, I saw the videos using boards and/or pool noodles. I ended up using some leftover 1/2" by 1 1/2" trim moulding as my "rollers" and set my ironing board next to my cutting table. Between the two of them I can pin-baste (using the Kwik-clip tool and curved pins that have the plastic covers on them) a queensize quilt pretty easily and at a comfortable height.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by helou View Post
The dining room table. I place a safety pin in the middle of the back the batting and the front to make sure the 3 layers meet in the middle. For me it's way easier for my knees and my back.
Love the center safety pin idea......thank-you
Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by helou View Post
The dining room table. I place a safety pin in the middle of the back the batting and the front to make sure the 3 layers meet in the middle. For me it's way easier for my knees and my back.
I use my dinning table too. I put the leaf in it and I use bed risers to bring the height up to a comfortable level. You can get bed risers on Amazon. For set of eight ( four each of two different heights) for under twenty dollars . The added height makes all the difference in the world on my back.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:01 PM

I use a a cheap set of foldable saw horses and a foam insulation 4x8 board. Menards, Home Depot etc has the materials. I just set it up in the garage when needed and when finished fold up the horses and stand the board on its edge against the wall. Very light weight and doesn't need much room.

I don't make quilt sandwiches larger than the 48" width so these are fine for my use. I use 505 to spray and then lightly pin them to help secure.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:42 PM

Another Sharon Schambers method user. I use 1 x 3 boards for the quilt and backing, pool noodles taped together for the batting and pins - no basting. I butt a 3 x 6 folding table up to my dining room table for larger quilts.