Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scissors >

Scissors

Scissors

Old 04-16-2020, 09:52 AM

I have a good pair of Gingher sewing shears that have begun to squeak. Can I oil them? They have begun to dull a bit also.

Overall, is it better to have scissors re-sharpened than to buy a new pair? Any thoughts on which basic fabric cutting shears are the best?

How much should I expect to pay to get a pair of shears sharpened? I have Gingher brand cutting shears, embroidery scissors, and applique scissors.

Appreciate any advice!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM

Doesn't Gingher have a sharpening program for their scissors? Kai does, I had them sharpen mine a couple of months ago, I enclosed a check for $7 for return shipping. I dropped a pair and bent the tip, they replaced it at no charge. <3
Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 PM

From the Ghinger website: https://www.gingher.us/Gingher_Maintenance.html

They also have directions for sharpening the scissors at home on this same webpage.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2020 at 03:32 AM. Reason: remove copyright material
Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM

Karen KB has the best handles....Clover Bordeaux scissors are wonderful, cut like butter....not sure if they would fit your hands, but you could try. I have Kai, KKB, Bordeaux, & gingher. I found most of my Gingher scissors are heavier and fatigue my hands the longer I use them.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:32 PM

Buckley scissors are wonderful and I have them in all sizes - the handles fit my hands - but they don't handle some of the really heavy things I have to cut. for that I use the spring loaded Fiskars. I have some Kai, but they are a bit tight. I have a pair of curved tip scissors that I got at a show years ago that have the biggest holes for my hands - I use them to snip the threads that seem to live on everything I peace.