Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Help! Disappearing ink will not. >

Help! Disappearing ink will not.

Help! Disappearing ink will not.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Help! Disappearing ink will not.

Using an air/water soluble pen to mark intricate quilting on a wall hanging.,it’s been a few days and ink is still there!! Aaah panicking a tiny bit. I’ve used this method hundreds of times but this time detail quilting is quite dense, also used a high thread count sheet for background (appliqué) . My dilemma: I don’t want to launder this afterwards, it’s a wall hanging. I’ve stopped for now. How do I get this ink out without using soap? Also, has anyone used those pens that erase with heat? I really have to mark a lot on this thing and I have much more to go. Help!!
Old 04-19-2020, 10:41 AM

Ok, first thing we need to know is what exactly are you using for the pen. Picture would be good if you can.

This isn't going to be something I can probably help with, but like everyone else I've had an unexpected result here and there with disappearing ink.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:57 AM

It can be hard to jump through the hoops to post pictures here, usually helps to work on a day when you aren't already frustrated. So just tell us exactly what it says, but I really appreciate your quick attempt!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:00 AM

Purple felt pen. Air and water soluble. I’m gonna try a Q-tip with water. Still gotta come up with a plan to finish it however
Old 04-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, try a Q-tip with water first. For further lines, I like to use plain white chalkboard chalk that I sharpen with a big pencil pencil sharpener and I use a dry toothbrush to remove any chalk after quilting. As for Frixion pens that remove with an iron, they can leave ghost lines on dark fabric after ironing and the lines come back in cold weather. Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2020, 03:30 PM

Not sure if you've tried the q-tip yet, and if so, if it helped at all. I had some of the air/water erase pens that stuck around for about a week or so. I started with the 1-tip and found that it just made the marks bigger (spread them around and pushed the ink further in to the fabric). In the end, I just spritzed it with a bit of water and the marks started disappearing.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:49 PM

If you decide to use a different marking tool, I like the Clover one that marks a thin white line and irons off. Another nice one I use, but not it cannot draw as intricate a line is a waxy type of crayon that is made with iron off pounce - it sharpens with a crayon sharpener if needed (but wastes that portion) - it marks very nicely too, just a little thicker line and irons off.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Have had times when I thought the air erase pen would never erase. Think it took almost a month. Be patient.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:45 AM

Put a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water and spritz after quilting. It has worked for me. I have had to spritz 2 or 3 times on some markings. Be sure to let it dry between spritzing.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:02 AM

I use baking soda/water method also, I learned in class by Kelly Cline doing Vintage Quilting, worked even on satin.