Singer 27 Presser bar

Old 04-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Default Singer 27 Presser bar

I have a 1901 singer 27 that I'm cleaning up. I took the presser bar off and need to know what height to set it. How do I set the right pressure? This is my first time working on seeing machine so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2020, 02:27 PM

On her website, Helen Howes has a tutorial on how to convert a back clamp 66 into a side clamp 66 and it includes the setting of the presser bar. Unless I'm very wrong, the setting of the pressr bar presented will apply to a 27.
http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines...c-convert.html
As for the pressure to apply once settled, I guess you will have to go by trial and error... enough pressure to have the feed dogs feed the fabric correctly but not too much so as not to mark the fabric.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Seb58 View Post
On her website, Helen Howes has a tutorial on how to convert a back clamp 66 into a side clamp 66 and it includes the setting of the presser bar. ...
Thank you for that link. I don't have any intention of switching it out on my back clamp, right now, but should I want to - it is nice to know.

It looks like the 27 only has one screw on the presser bar. Here are a couple pictures of my 1898 27. One is with presser foot down, the other is with it up (sideways one, sorry). It seems when I have polished bars, you can still see where they had been setting.

presserbartop.jpg

presser-barup.jpg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:55 PM

My pleasure Janey... I don't have a 66 yet -worst luck- but I keep the link in case I have to change the presser bar on any of my existing machines... .. I don't own a 27, only 28s and one 128, they have one screw too but I imagined it was only because it was smaller...I think the part where she explains how to align the bar and feet can be useful for the 27 too.
And good idea using the "dirt marks"!!
Old 04-27-2020, 01:32 AM

That was helpful thank you!