Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine shortage >

Sewing machine shortage

Sewing machine shortage

Old 04-26-2020, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Not only machines but DH says wood is getting low. He does woodworking as a hobby. He has a good stash of wood but always needs a certain type. Just like me and my stash. He has made everyone we know a squirrel picnic table over the last few weeks LOL
I am glad he has a hobby he enjoys. Having him in my sewing room would not work at all and I have never ever encouraged it. His woodworking tools are much more expensive so he thinks my quilting is a cheap hobby.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-26-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 AM

No, Matt is just the neighbor! He had never sewn a stitch before last week and now he is customizing face masks with facings and removable filters and such for his mother in law. It is so funny, the joy and glee and shine in his eye as he shows me his works and asks questions.

My son (James) grew up with me quilting just like me cooking or cleaning out the cat box... like in many families, an artist is rarely recognized or treated as such He has zero interest in anything fabric related, other than if they will ever come out with a color darker than black. He has a distinct design sense and is a talented pencil artist himself. When he would go to quilt shows with me when he was young, he always liked the appliqued quilts best. I'd say, "but that's not what mommy does" and he said "yeah, but it's what I like". So there we were. By the time he was 3 he could recognize the outside of a fabric store and would sigh and say "fawbwic mommy??". But by the time he was 6 he found out there were craft kits and other things a mom could easily be extorted to buy for a son who asked and would volunteer on Saturday that we could go fabric shopping that day.

I know people are surprised that I "have" to donate most of my quilts. I work much faster than I have any need, and I have a small family who is unimpressed, is always something I've done after all. They all have a "blanket" or two, and yes they appreciate them but none of them necessarily really want them. I have to admit my own favorite blanket is a lightweight microfiber thing more of a throw than a blanket, much less a quilt.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 AM

Onebyone, I know we are getting off topic, but my friend in Arizona who quilts is married to a woodworker, does a lot of turning and such. She's spent a lot of time going with him to go look at pieces of exotic wood.

I'm going to take down a lilac I have in the back yard, it was planted in a bad spot by previous owners, it's an issue now and too big too move and not the healthiest plant in the world anyway. I called them up to see if Bill would be interested in any of the pieces and if so, how big and what do I need to do. Now I know and after it blooms it is going to be cut into lengths I can fit in a suitcase, the ends dipped in wax, and then dried inside my house until I go for a visit. Lilac isn't a wood you see often, is slow growing and you get more trimmings than usable wood.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:26 AM

Omg I was reading this thread out loud to my husband at breakfast this morning. Regarding the possible theft of a machine from someone's house, he said "What, are sewists so gansta that there's an organized crime ring of quilters? Better watch out for Tony Sew-prano?" He is laughing so hard at his own stupid joke right now, he thinks he is soooo funny. I said "You know the funniest thing about what you just said? You called us "sewists" and not "sewers". Lol!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 AM

Wow! Who would have thought?? I am counting my blessings. The day before yesterday my shipment of elastic arrived! I should have enough elastic to last a long time. Right away I made up 20 more mask! And tp.. well that is coming today. We should be all set for sometime to come.
My sewing machines will get extra hugs. I have 2 that I can put out on loan to a couple people if they ask. That is all that I can do right now. Who would have thought... a sewing machine shortage.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:39 AM

I have a Janome, Pfaff, and featherweight and love all of them for one reason or another. I was in JoAnn's about 2 weeks ago and saw 3 new sewing machines being purchased. Hopefully this will help with all of the boredom for the people and hopefully they are making masks or scrub hats for a good cause.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
And I was just thinking that I need to look an newer machines now that my skills are expanding. My Bernina 830 Record is 40 years old. I love it, but I like to challenge myself. Watching the thread about new machine suggestions because I don't know where to start, other than Bernina or Kenmore(my first in about 7th grade).
I was looking at Bernina machines the other day at ebay. Actually, I was looking for a new stitch plate for my aurora 440 bernina and they showed up too.) I was surprised to see a record 830 going for around 900 dollars. You must really enjoy having such a workhorse in good condition. They are a great machine, but really?

I was able to find the zig zag foot stitch plate and buy it from someone who seems to be selling all of their sewing extras. A wonderful thing because the Quilt store said the factory in Chicago might be shut down from COVID. and the plate could be a long wait for it to arrive.

I somehow have four machines on hand now. Two Berninas and two Singers. I think I am good! LOL!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
So, those of us with more than one machine need to ramp up our home security!
Or, those of us with more than one machine might find it a good time to sell some of the extras if we're willing!
Either way, it does make sense....
I just packed up two to give to my DIL and GD. Waiting for them to swing by and pick them up. DIL is going to use the time off to teach GD to sew. Win-win.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:20 PM

your hubs, Peckish, cracked me up with his gangsta statement! Pretty clever!

Not surprised that more and more people are turning to hands on crafting of some type--lots of time on our hands and one of the best ways to reduce anxiety is to be actively engaged in something.

Also think that overseas shipping is an issue right now--I ordered some toy containers on-line about 3 weeks ago that are coming from China and they still haven't left China yet--between the Covid and tensions between the US and China anything coming from there is taking much longer.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM

"Sewist" ...........I like that word. Sounds more creative than "Sewer". I mean........have you ever heard of an artist called a "Arter"? Dentist called a "Denter"? However calling a plumber a "Plumist" might be a little over the top!

Stay safe out there.

Jim