Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite affordable background fabric >

Favorite affordable background fabric

Favorite affordable background fabric

Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 AM

I tend to keep a variety of WOW patterns and watch for great sales that discount with the more yardage you buy. Fabric.com is good about that. I try to keep at least 3-4 yards of any single print. Enough to do an entire quilt or sometimes 2.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:37 AM

Northcott Colorworks Premium 9000, I buy it from fabric.com by the bolt. I keep a white and an eggshell.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:03 AM

I really like using the lighter Moda grunges. They’re like white or beige but with a little something more interesting. Since I started using the grunge fabric, the solids like Kona solids seem a little flat to me. Some are available in 108”. Hancock’s in Paducah has decent prices.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:46 AM

I recently bought some white kona cotton and really find that it is one of my new favorite background fabrics. I prefer cream background when I am working on a pattern with Civil War fabrics. Also, I made a wall hanging for my grandson and used a light grey grunge fabric and that was so nice to work with. Oh heck, I like them all!! . If it is fabric I like it.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I like the off white, tan or dove grey backgrounds. I also have seen light blue that was very pretty. I suppose any pastel would work if the other fabric you are working with has a strong color hue. The antique country mostly have a muslin or off white background and sometimes black or navy blue.
I suppose what I am saying is, use what is best for your design you have in mind.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I bought a bunch from "franks11" who is an ebay seller. Just contact him and tell him what you want and how much you are willing to pay. He was most accommodating to me. I got 20 different ones five yards each.; It was very cheap, but I don't remember now what it was, I'm thinking $3.45.
Battle Axe
Do you know how I can find seller franks11 on ebay? I tried to put it in the search bar, but it didn't take me there. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:05 AM

I often purchase whole bolts from JoAnn's of a white on white. I have one that is a favorite that is a really small floral, but I have used stars, dots, and small scrolls. Of course, I watch for coupons and it is just a thrill to dip into my bin of whites/creams and find all I need to start or finish a project. From time to time I will purchase JA, highest thread count white muslin.

Thank you everyone for the ideas of where you are finding good backings are a bargain price.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:11 AM

When Joann's has 60% off coupons I stock up by purchasing a bolt of Kona Snow.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:44 AM

You have to enter it as searching for a seller not a store. I found it that way. You can find it using advanced search.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:49 AM

I keep Optical White and Canvas (both RJR fabrics) on hand. I usually buy 10 yards at a time but thinking I might get a better deal with bolts. I also have a few precuts (jelly rolls and layer cakes) in each. Plus odds and ends when I find a good sale.