Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from New Member >

Hi from New Member

Hi from New Member

Old 04-27-2020, 08:12 AM

Smile Hi from New Member

I just wanted to say how happy I am to have found this site. I am originally from very cold Vermont and now living in North Carolina.

I do lots of machine embroidery in my "spare" time mostly for gifts. I would like to learn how to make quilts. I am not much of a "sewer" so have felt very intimidated by fabrics and the whole process. Any hints, tips, knowledge would be greatly appreciated and welcomed .

Thank you and stay safe,

Penny
Old 04-27-2020, 09:31 AM

Welcome aboard! I'm waving a safe personal space away from the Seattle. When I was a little girl, my dad was in the army and we were at Ft Bragg, I don't remember much but I have some memories and we have some friends in the Greensboro area now.

My best advice is to take a deep breath and go for it! You will learn as you go. If I could figure it out as a teenager with no family tradition of quilting, you can do it here and with the internet. It's just putting fabric together, one piece at a time. In the early days I recommend lots of what I call "driving lessons" long strips with 1/4" seams until you get that right, something like a 9- or 4- patch or just alternate squares is a good project to learn your machine and get the hand/eye coordination started. I do believe that sewing is/can be physical and it doesn't come as easy when you do it yearly as compared with sewing daily.

Recognize that you may have to build up skill to get what you want, that's ok. We don't just jump up and win the Olympics without some training first.

While yeah, there are standard ways of doing things, or things you particularly should do if you are planning on showing a quilt there are no quilt police who have any authority over you. I press my seams open for various reasons, I have 40 years of quilts to show that it is fine. I used to be about precision and technique, now I'm about speed and slicing and dicing and cutting/sewing large and then trimming down. I'm actually faster and more accurate now than I used to be, but that's what works for me and I find it more fun.

Find what works for you and what you enjoy doing -- and when you can, we love pictures here! Figure out how to post them and share both the triumphs and the failures. We all start somewhere and we all end somewhere, I'm dealing with vision issues and think my best work is behind me, but I'm going to keep on piecing and posting and ticking as long as I can.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:35 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. It really helped.

I started looking at information on the internet and i quickly had information overload and that made the intimidation if felt even greater.

I will use your advice and give myself permission to "fail" and just start cutting and sewing and see what comes of it.

All the best,

Penny
Old 04-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Watch a simple tutorial from Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt co. Try a table runner or pot holder to get the basics and build from there.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Welcome Penny

Welcome, hope you enjoy seeing all the wonderful ideas and sharing that goes on here.

Judy in Phoenix AZ
Old 04-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Welcome to the QB! I live in SE Michigan where spring is trying to spring finally. There are all kinds of people here that are willing to help you learn to quilt and become comfortable with fabric. Like you, I love my embroidery machine and it gets a big work out. When I am not quilting I am using the embroidery machine. We have an extensive block library that can help you get started. Blocks can be identified by how easy to complex they are. This can give you an idea on some places to start.https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html. Having some of the basic tools helps a great deal. A good rotary cutter a 24"x6" acrylic ruler and a self healing cutting mat will last you for a very long time. Then all you need is fabric. Quilting these days is usually done with 100% cotton fabrics. You want a good quality fabric to work with.
Since the majority of LQS (Local Quilt Shop) are closed because of COVID we are blessed to have a good range of YouTube videos to choose from. When I was learning I used Quilt in a Day. Now I would recommend Missouri Star Quilt Company (MSQC) Her tutorials are fantastic!
The best way to start is to do some practice pieces. Become familiar with your tools being very careful not to cut yourself! There is always someone here that can help you along the way. No question is stupid or dumb. We all started from somewhere and I can guarantee that our first quilts were far from perfect. So jump right in and you will fit right in with all of us. Again Welcome to the QB!
Old 04-27-2020, 04:22 PM

I would suggest using a good weight fabric. Not necessarily an expensive piece. You may be afraid to use something too expensive. Just make sure you don’t get a very thin loose fabric. It will stretch and wiggle around too much. You want to have some control of the pieces as you are learning. Most importantly let yourself be less than perfect. Enjoy the process and be proud of your work however it turns out.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the QB and happy quilting
Old 04-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:06 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. YouTube is wonderful for explaining techniques and how to quilt. A friend of mine who isn't a quilter, but wanted to make one each, for her son and her two grandchildren started with 10 inch squares aka Layer Cakes, pleasingly arranged them, and then sewed them together. The quilts were beautiful. Her quilts were 5 squares wide by 6 squares long, then added a border of one of the matching fabrics. I wish I had a picture to show you.