Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on the Singer 2662? >

Thoughts on the Singer 2662?

Thoughts on the Singer 2662?

Old 05-04-2020, 04:27 PM

Default Thoughts on the Singer 2662?

I started with a Janome Sew Mini, but have finally asked too much of it and messed it up mechanically. For the time being, there is a singer 2662 available on the local market, but online reviews have seemed... mixed. What are your thoughts?
Old 05-04-2020, 05:12 PM

Personally, I would definitely pass on a new modern Singer, no matter how cheap it is, modern Singers are in my opinion, pieces of junk. I would definitely buy a vintage Singer though.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:35 AM

I called my local and favoite quilt shop and bought a new Janome for $350.00 a month ago and they shipped it to me I also would not go with a Singer no matter what the cost good Luck
Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM

Trick is, I live on a island practically in the middle of nowhere. I can get a Bernette 33 or 35 for about that much, but they are approximately 150 air miles away. It would have to be shipped to me. The 2662 is local.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Personally, I would definitely pass on a new modern Singer, no matter how cheap it is, modern Singers are in my opinion, pieces of junk. I would definitely buy a vintage Singer though.
I wouldn't bother with the Singer either. The new ones are pretty much pieces of junk. Sewing Machines Plus online appears to ship to all parts of Alaska and they carry a good variety of machines at reasonable prices.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-05-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by alaskanb3arcub View Post
Trick is, I live on a island practically in the middle of nowhere. I can get a Bernette 33 or 35 for about that much, but they are approximately 150 air miles away. It would have to be shipped to me. The 2662 is local.
Go with the Singer 2662. Yes, the Singers of today aren't made as well as they used to be, but I'm sure the machine will be just fine.

Last edited by Christine-; 05-05-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:32 PM

I bought a modern Singer several years ago. It only lasted me ten projects. Now it's a door stop. After that experience, I switched to vintage machines only. I have never paid more then $100 for a vintage machine and I know they won't fail me.

Since you are in Alaska, does Amazon ship to you? Maybe you could get a simple Brother machine for the same price as the local Singer 2662? Brother makes very good machines. Walmart generally carries Brothers too.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I bought a modern Singer several years ago. It only lasted me ten projects. Now it's a door stop. After that experience, I switched to vintage machines only. I have never paid more then $100 for a vintage machine and I know they won't fail me.

Since you are in Alaska, does Amazon ship to you? Maybe you could get a simple Brother machine for the same price as the local Singer 2662? Brother makes very good machines. Walmart generally carries Brothers too.
I would definitely get a Brother over a Singer. Brother makes a good reasonably priced machine.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post

I bought the 2662 for $75. Shipping here(locally, anyway) is a a bit of a logistical nightmare if you aren't using the USPS. Amazon does ship to AK, assuming the seller isn't setup like we are a third world country, but if it comes to my town via FedEx or UPS, it introduces... issues that can be quite significant and incredibly frustrating. Add that to additional load put on shipping lanes due Beer Bug, it's an even worse idea.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:53 AM

Well, good luck with the 2662