Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 05-06-2020, 05:50 AM

Default Applique question

Hello, everyone. Hoping you are all safe and happy during these trying times.

I am doing preliminary work on RosieCo’s Melody quilt. They’ve used a fusible to achieve the flowing music staff at the bottom of the quilt. I’m more of a needle turn gal but can’t see a feasible way to needle turn the very sharp and long v shapes. They taper drastically to a point where there is just no seam allowance .Has anyone ever seen a quilt with mixed appliqué methods? The quilt will not be for everyday use.
Can anyone with experience or opinions chime in with thoughts? Much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Default I need advice too on this!

I am making a statue of Liberty applique . The points on her crown taper drastically, also have star points. The bulk of Liberty is blind hand stitched.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

If you enjoy needle turn appliqué, do what you can in it. As for tiny pieces that are too small to turn, use whatever method looks best. There is no reason you can’t mix techniques unless it is going into a traditional appliqué competition.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 AM

You can mix methods. I do that from time to time What ever it takes to get you comfortably to the point you want with the project. I mostly like needle turn and fusible for my applique pieces. Good fortune while you work on this quilt. I can't wait to see it when you have it finished.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I love appliqué and have seen some really nice appliqué projects that had multiple techniques. Needle turn, fusible and reverse appliqué. You might be able to do some reverse appliqué on yours if you really don’t want to do raw edge- fusible.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

Could you do some hand embroidery in some spots?
Old 05-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Great comments, everyone , and a wealth of info. Thank you.
I feel like I have more options and even a certain permission from the experts to think outside the box.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:43 PM

If I was doing that by needleturn, I would cut each line of the staff separately. Where they come together I would use a solid piece. Depending on the width of the staff lines, I might do them out of bias tape instead of trying to cut them in that fancy shape.

Good luck! That's a beautiful project.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
If I was doing that by needleturn, I would cut each line of the staff separately. Where they come together I would use a solid piece. Depending on the width of the staff lines, I might do them out of bias tape instead of trying to cut them in that fancy shape.

Good luck! That's a beautiful project.
That’s great idea , Jennifer 23. I never would have thought of that. Appreciate it!