Unity Quilt-along

Old 05-04-2020, 08:17 AM

This week we make a bunch of HSTs, and find out what we'll do with them next week.

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...rt-6.html#more

It's been slow going for me. I'm currently working on putting row two together. I have my geese constructed and squares cut for the row three stars, and am about halfway through sewing the HSTs for row 4. I haven't gotten past thinking about week 5.

I've not been consistent with my color substitutions due to value issues, so will have to decide what color to use as the red in this round. It's unlikely that I will get to either part five or part 6 this week at my slow pace.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:49 PM

I'm still working on part 3. I sewed a few of the neutral squares together today just for fun. I have everything cut out through part 5 but I am trying to finish up other sewing projects also.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:25 AM

I've been inching along this week. I finished sewing the week 4 HSTs and am now de-papering them; sometimes it pays to be behind, as I saw a nice variation for this unit on Quiltville -- turning the third color HST so the neutral is inside creates a nice latticework effect, so I'm planning on doing that. I am almost done cutting the geese for week 5. I decided to wait to see how the week 6 HSTs are used before deciding what color to go with.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Awesome progress for you.

Tomorrow I’m dedicating the majority of my time to my sewing room. Since we are a stay at home state, I won’t be going anywhere. I have been making good progress on sewing pieces together and hopefully will get part 3 finally done and attached. But like you said, it’s ok to be behind.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 AM

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2020...rt-7.html#more

I'm not sure how I feel about this week's block, but Bonnie's designs usually grow on me. If I don't warm up to it, I may skip this round and wait to see what comes in week 8. Meanwhile, I have plenty of catching up to do. I'm excited to start sewing my week 3 stars; they're so cute. My week 5 geese are cut; I'm doing the four at a time trim down method for these.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 AM

I'm in, too. The more I looked at the block the more I realized that the thing that was holding me back was the red - not my favorite color. So I swapped out yellow for red and like the result. I, too, think I will use 1 constant of each main color per round. We'll see how this turns out!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Oops! Meant to send a pic!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_123618.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	624872  
Old 05-11-2020, 11:28 AM

kmjohnson, that is lovely! So glad you found a color palette that works for you.

I only have my center sewn together thus far. I'm pleased to be using lots of older fabrics in this project; it is taking on a woodsy theme, as many of the fabrics are leafy.

edit: I'm thinking, with this week's block, that I might like it better if I do the pinwheel in two of my colors rather than a color and neutral.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755_Fotor.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	624875  
Old 05-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Welcome kmjohnson2000! Your color combinations are very nice.

joesmom: You are doing well and it looks very pretty.

I have 10 more blocks to finish for step 3. I need to trim the FG because I used larger triangles cut from previous steps/projects. I have all of my HSTs from one of the steps sewn and am working on pressing them. I only want my rounds to finish around 65" by 75" because I will put borders on it and my church group likes the tops around 70" by 80".

Yesterday, I chain pieced like crazy. It was very relaxing. It felt good to get more blocks/parts finished. LOL! Takes a while to press them though.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:14 PM

I've been impressed with all the up-to-date Unity tops being posted on Quiltville. They're looking great.

I got the impression from a Bonnie blog post this week that tomorrow's clue will be the last -- she had mentioned that she was trying to get hers quilted and bound by tomorrow.

I'm in the midst of sewing my week 3 stars, and I have all of my week 4 HSTs to press (there are so many of them -- that's the unit I decided to do half-size); my week 5 geese are ready to be marked and sewn, and I have sorted my fabrics for the week 7 pinwheels. Looking forward to seeing how this will finish tomorrow.