Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bernina 930 (Manufactured 1990) Handwheel Working Loose After Some Use >

Bernina 930 (Manufactured 1990) Handwheel Working Loose After Some Use

Bernina 930 (Manufactured 1990) Handwheel Working Loose After Some Use

Old 05-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Bernina 930 (Manufactured 1990) Handwheel Working Loose After Some Use

Hi

I have recently inherited a Bernina 950 Sewing Machine from my Gran. She had it from new and its in lovely condition and works perfectly.

However, there is a slight issue with the Handwheel working loose after some use. Once tightened, its fine for a while, but then gets loose again. Its more irritating than anything else. After some detailed examination, I have discovered that a small part of the plastic from inside the wheel has broken loose, and some attempt had been made to repair it. This can be seen on the attached photos.

As the handwheel is no longer available and I’ve been unable to source a used one, I have not been able to compare mine with another. I don’t know if its complete, or if the broken piece is responsible for the loosening.

Has anyone experienced similar issues, or could confirm if my handwheel is complete or missing some essential component. Also, I have considered filling the cavity left by the broken plastic with epoxy putty, by way of reinforcement.

I have taken a number of photos of the handwheel both on and off the machine.

Any advice in this regard would be appreciated.

2.JPG (22.3 KB)
3.JPG (64.6 KB)
4.JPG (31.6 KB)
6.JPG (70.1 KB)
7.JPG (52.8 KB)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	624881   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	624882   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	624883   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	624884   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	624885  

Old 05-12-2020, 06:01 AM

I am not familiar with that machine, but had the same issue with an older machine, a Singer 503A, where the clutch was slipping. I took it apart and wiped down the small clutch piece and the metal face on the hand wheel, which had oil on them, and the machine stopped slipping. I cannot tell from the pictures, but in the first picture it looks as though the clutch is still on the shaft; if that pulls off then I would try cleaning it.

I don't think the broken plastic piece is the problem; that appears to be a support rib for the inner circle on the hand wheel. If you want to try to glue it back then clean all the surfaces and try some plastic epoxy. Either way I wouldn't put too much torque on the hand wheel because without that rib there is more pressure on the remaining ones, making them prone to breakage; in fact I would examine the remaining ones for cracks and if you can get to them use the epoxy to fill any cracks.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:43 AM

I can't tell from your first picture, if you've got the specialized washer with the two holes. If you take that washer off, then take the black plastic collar off, you can see the spring that fits around the shaft. The spring should have an end that pokes outward at the far end, and another end that pokes inward at the near end. On the black collar, there's a nub on one of the gear teeth. That is the gear tooth that goes over the spring end at the far end.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 AM

Thanks for that.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I am not familiar with that machine, but had the same issue with an older machine, a Singer 503A, where the clutch was slipping. I took it apart and wiped down the small clutch piece and the metal face on the hand wheel, which had oil on them, and the machine stopped slipping. I cannot tell from the pictures, but in the first picture it looks as though the clutch is still on the shaft; if that pulls off then I would try cleaning it.

I don't think the broken plastic piece is the problem; that appears to be a support rib for the inner circle on the hand wheel. If you want to try to glue it back then clean all the surfaces and try some plastic epoxy. Either way I wouldn't put too much torque on the hand wheel because without that rib there is more pressure on the remaining ones, making them prone to breakage; in fact I would examine the remaining ones for cracks and if you can get to them use the epoxy to fill any cracks.
Joe

The problem I have is not really that the handwheel is slipping in some way, but the retaining screw that attaches the handwheel (Last Photo) itself becomes intermittently loose .The handwheel still operates correctly, but clearly I am concerned at why this loosening happens.

I am indebted to you for your observations of the handwheel support ribs and you view that the internal forces caused by the drive lug (First Photo) is responsible for the breakage. I am on the lookout for a replacement handwheel, but these seem to be difficult to source at the moment. I will of course consider the use of epoxy by way of repair if necessary.

Regards

Last edited by patricej; 05-14-2020 at 06:21 AM.