Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for a design wall >

Ideas for a design wall

Ideas for a design wall

Old 05-16-2020, 03:06 PM

I use an outdoor shade roller, about 6 ft. The ones that filter sunlight from lowes or home depot. The shade was torn so I repurposed and replaced the shade with a plastic tablecloth, backed with flannel. I mounted it over the double closet door in my sewing room and can crank it up or down as needed. It solved a no wall space problem for me. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 AM

LynnG -- I was wondering if something like that would work, like I've seen the old pull down movie screens the type that used to be in Classrooms or meeting rooms or for showing vacation slides at the thrift store... was thinking that could really neat if I could indeed roll the thing up and stuff would stay relatively in place.

I do have a thin bamboo shade, the type for a sliding glass door. It sort of folds up as you pull the cord, I can see how that would work, not as ideal maybe in terms of being fully protected as a roller. You'd attach the flannel sheet along the top and probably along the sides within the area of the attached cords.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM

Iceblossom--What your thinking about sounds like it could work too. Thread the flannel like the bamboo was done? Grommet the flannel if you have to? Will there is a will, there is a way!!!! 😄 😄😄
Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 AM

I love my temporary "design wall" that I got on clearance. It's from Fons & Porter and is basically flannel with holes for hooks on the top. I use Command hooks and just pop it up when I'm working on a large quilt. (Normally my thread spool s are hanging there).
I got it for $6.00 because JoAnn was getting rid of it. They still sell them however-not as cheaply but you could use a coupon. I love the fact that I can fold it and throw it in a drawer when not in use.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by LynnG View Post
I use an outdoor shade roller, about 6 ft. The ones that filter sunlight from lowes or home depot. The shade was torn so I repurposed and replaced the shade with a plastic tablecloth, backed with flannel. I mounted it over the double closet door in my sewing room and can crank it up or down as needed. It solved a no wall space problem for me. Hope this helps.
This is a great idea!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:45 AM

I use two sheets of 4 x 8 insulation wall board taped together. I do not cover it and it works great! I have it standing against on wall. I also used it to spray baste my quilts. Bending over a table or crawling around on the floor was too hard on my body.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 AM

I have 2 made of the foam insulation board covered in flannel. When not in active use, they stand one behind the other and are behind the sewing room door. They were super cheap when I made them about 15 years ago and work great. The only change I would make is that I'd probably cover them in batting (and may still). The fabric doesn't always stick well to the flannel, especially when the a/c comes on.