Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
201-2 Potential Threading Issue? >

201-2 Potential Threading Issue?

201-2 Potential Threading Issue?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:07 PM

I may be a bit late to the party... lol If you're scared of disassembling the tension unit you can always try running a bit of steel wool dipped in brasso (or any metal cleaning product) between the disks and then, of course running a clean cloth to polish up and wipe any remains of brasso.
It wouldn't hurt doing that as a speck of rust can impede a smooth running of the thread.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:50 AM

oh boy- I am just seeing this. I have a 201 and have made over 250 masks during this quarantine time, most on the 201. I my 201. I also have a 15-91 and a 66 and a 99. It amazes me how the thread goes through the needle one way on one and the other way on the other.

On my 201-- I changed the bobbin and accidentally put it in the wrong direction, with the thread coming off from the back towards the front, instead of the other way. Got a birds' nest underneath. what a mess.

I sure hope, before you start taking apart tensioner, etc, you checked the bobbin direction. (you said you checked the thread and how it was threaded and "I didn't have to touch the bobbin" and it still did it.

p.s. Sometimes when I haven't sewed for awhile, I have to check the book to make sure I'm putting it in right.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-13-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-13-2020, 10:33 AM

"Tensions aren't too bad, if you have the diagram as how they go together. The 201 manual I have, has it broken out, along with instructions."
The assembly is fine. It's when one gets to the last step, adjusting the tension # to the stop washer. For some reason, it psychs me out. I really think it starts with the phrase, "#2 on the indicator opposite the '/" in the +/-. Across from? Yes. Opposite, as in a clock dial, if we start at 12, opposite is 6....

Anyone can make things more difficult than they need to be. And that is with the manual open every.single.time.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM

An issue with the Singer 201 tensioner was reported here: Pervious post regarding Singer 201 tension problem