Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fusible batting >

fusible batting

fusible batting

Old 05-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Default fusible batting

I am going to try this for the first time............any hints.....things I read on line contradict each other......is there someway to soften the quilt once your done...........thanks
Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I love Hobbs fusible 80/20 batt! Things I do...I use a dry iron and a big surface to iron on. I iron the front and then the back. I put safety pins around the perimeter so I don’t lift the edge when moving the quilt. I quilt from the center out and may need to re-iron the back towards the edge(adjust pins) as needed. Washing will soften the quilt. If you densely quilt your quilt though, that will make it stiffer.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:53 AM

I have not used fusible batting yet. It will be great to hear what others here are doing with it. Have you started with it yet? How is it holding and what do you think so far? I will be watching closely.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 AM

I have not used fusible batting but there are a lot of pros and cons I have heard about it. The only thing I know is my friend was going to use it and put it in the dryer for awhile to soften it up and it all stuck together. She had a big mess trying to separate it. Sad situation
Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I have used Hobbs fusible batting a few times, I use it for small ( smaller than a queen sized quilt) projects. I especially like it for odd shaped projects like tree skirts. You just launder your finished project to soften it up- the fusible washes away- it’s just there to hold your sandwich together while you stitch/ quilt it instead of thread or pin basting. I do usually still pin around the edges just to help keep it together After fusing the second side be sure to turn it over and check the other side again- sometimes things happen...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Make sure to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions... they are not all the same. Also, I've read that starch or other residue in your fabric can cause poor results - not personal experience, though.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:57 AM

I have not used fusible batting on a quilt, but I did receive one as a gift that appeared to have fusible batting in it. It was kind of stiff at first but softened up nicely after the first washing.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:26 PM

It's always been out of my budget, but one of my quilting friends was an earlier adopter and just loves the stuff. Refuses to use anything else for at least the last 10 years (probably closer to 20). Sorry, don't know the brand but I do know she raves and gushes over it as the best thing since sliced bread!