Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing Help Finding Enhanced Snowball Block Patter >

Needing Help Finding Enhanced Snowball Block Patter

Needing Help Finding Enhanced Snowball Block Patter

Old 05-26-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Needing Help Finding Enhanced Snowball Block Patter

I'm looking for an easy pattern to showcase fussy cut fabrics, baseball themed blocks. In looking at quilts on the web, one of the easiest blocks has me baffled. I'm hoping someone here will have the answer. It's the snowball block with a corner that is really stunning to my eye. https://www.pieceandquilt.com/2014/0...all-quilt.html I have searched for double snowball blocks and cannot find a pattern. If it is a for sale pattern that would be no problem for me or if it is in a book. It's probably simple but at this point my brain freeze is fully activated..
Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 AM

Somebody smarter than me will surely come along, but here is what I see. Look at the close up. The fussy cut is 1st snowballed with the light blue. Then it looks like that 'block' was sashed with light blue all around. Then the sashing was snowballed with black corners. Lastly the black was snowballed.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:20 AM

I agree with toogie. I might also be tempted to strip piece the black corners to get rid of that last ttiny triangle. That's an interesting pattern, Have fun with it.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:09 PM

Here's my guess and how I would do it. They started off with a 6.5" square, cutting it (what I call a "snub") so that 2" would be left finished on the outer edges.

Then they took a 2.5" width and went around the snowball block for a 2" finished edge, just like you would a log cabin. It looks to me like the black was cut at 1.5, for a 1" finish and again went around.. Then they added the triangle. I always go large and trim down so I'd probably start with about a 2" square or something like that and just trim the whole unit nice and square.

You could build the triangles first but I think it would be fast as a log cabin technique.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Here's a couple of scans and measurements. The block as I've done it here finishes at 10". So the quarter diagram is 5". Starting with a 6.5" piece of focus fabric, snub off the corners. You want to leave a 2" finished seam along the outer edges, make sure you leave your seam allowances!

The color band is a 2.5" cut strip of fabric. Starting on the snubbed corners, sew on strips around the snowball. I like to cut large and then trim down for accuracy, I'd be using about 4.5 x 2.5 for the first go around and probably closer to 8" the second time. Yes, you will be trimming off a lot if you do it my way.

The black is cut at 1.5" for a finish width of 1" which is a little hard to accurately draw. That leaves the corner triangle at roughly 1.5" finished, so about 2.5 normal cut or me, I'd be cutting 3" squares in half.

Only count the top corner of the block detail as accurate, I put in the color and black bands incorrectly on the bottom half but didn't catch it until after the scan...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snowball directions.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	625238   Click image for larger version

Name:	snowball .jpg
Views:	124
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	625239  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 05-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Pretty impressive!!
... as to how the 8-sided focus fabric looks like a full circle once quilted!!

The lazy in me says the way to go is to paper piece it!
A simple way to make sure all will easily line up when you stitch everything together.

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-26-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:32 PM

Deb Tucker has the Corner Pop tool to make snowballs and a video demonstrating the double snowball technique using the tool.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:18 PM

Here is a link to a free pattern that is very similar - it is called Artful Home. The download link is below the picture and to the left.

https://needlecraftinc.com/cgi-bin/f...i?patternID=20
Old 05-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
Here is a link to a free pattern that is very similar - it is called Artful Home. The download link is below the picture and to the left.

https://needlecraftinc.com/cgi-bin/f...i?patternID=20

Even better ... that one is like a Triple Snowball!!
Thanks for sharing the link with all of us.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my request in helping find a patter or technique to make the enhanced snowball block! I'm sorry for the delay in thanking, life got in the way but please know I appreciate each and everyone of you for taking the time to help!