Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
T-shirt Quilt Interfacing too stiff >

T-shirt Quilt Interfacing too stiff

T-shirt Quilt Interfacing too stiff

Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Was thinking about this last night, after you quilt it for the first wash it would be worth it to go to a laundromat with one of the extra large machines. I do this for all my queen and larger tops.

After that you should be able to stuff it into a normal large capacity washer, but probably it will never fit in a stackable unit.

Consider what quiltingshorttimer said too, use a very thin batting (no warm and natural!). Maybe try just putting a piece of flannel inside, that gives enough layering to give the quilting stitches something to bite into.
Thanks, that's a great idea - about using a flannel instead of batting.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board.

If she did use Pellon 809 - that would definitely make it more suitable for a wall hanging than a quilt.
http://www.pellonprojects.com/products/809-decor-bond/

Your dilemma has reminded me of something I often forget to do -Before agreeing to something - get an idea of what is involved first!

Old 05-28-2020, 05:41 AM

First of all let me welcome you to the Quilting Board! It is great to have you here. Depending on the density I would consider taking the stabilizer off and putting on a light weight stabilizer. I know it is a headache to take the entire quilt apart block by block but you would be assured of the quilt you want. I would go with a light weight Pellon. The quilter's grid #820 is what I would use. It is light enough for Tshirts and heavy enough t hat you would not have movement. I am glad you have jumped right into the discussion. I look forward to seeing a great deal of you here.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 AM

Eye opener. Have never made a t shirt quilt but my good neighbor inquired about me making one for her daughter. I am considering it, like I said, she’s a great neighbor.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 AM

T-shirt quilts are a skill set of their own, Tranum, the problems I hear, see and experience the most are mostly dealing with interfacing -- whether it is too hard or it wasn't used at all. As I said before, I have to throw myself on the mercy of whoever is in the store on which to buy and I never can remember, but I personally want the lightest weight that will stick, think more in terms of stabilizer than interfacing which is used to make collar points sharp.

I prepare my ironing board or surface to be very flat, I prefer to have the shirt whole if I can (so I can stretch it around the board and get it perfectly flat), and I iron on a huge oversized piece of that lightweight interfacing on first, then cut the shirts. I never buy enough interfacing the first time. The way I do it, is like I understand embroidery designs, you fill up the hoop size even if you are making a small detail.

Some people do great with them and do great things with them. I can frame stuff and put it together, but that doesn't mean I like it so I try to get out of making them myself -- but they make such wonderful mementos.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 AM

You've been given some good advice. The only thing I can add is that pellon is not a woven interfacing and will often shred with repeated washings. That being said, once it's quilted I'm not sure that will happen. Good luck with whatever you do and tell your mom to use one of the fusible tricot interfacings next time. lol
Old 05-28-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
First of all let me welcome you to the Quilting Board! It is great to have you here. Depending on the density I would consider taking the stabilizer off and putting on a light weight stabilizer. I know it is a headache to take the entire quilt apart block by block but you would be assured of the quilt you want. I would go with a light weight Pellon. The quilter's grid #820 is what I would use. It is light enough for Tshirts and heavy enough t hat you would not have movement. I am glad you have jumped right into the discussion. I look forward to seeing a great deal of you here.
Thank you, and I have been pondering the idea of if I should take it apart. I'm just debating how much work I want to do. lol
Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
You've been given some good advice. The only thing I can add is that pellon is not a woven interfacing and will often shred with repeated washings. That being said, once it's quilted I'm not sure that will happen. Good luck with whatever you do and tell your mom to use one of the fusible tricot interfacings next time. lol
Thanks! So, when you say it shreds, does it just break down and become more pliable/moveable, or do pieces actually start to shed off of it and become loose? I didn't know this about non-woven interfacing. I'm still learning a lot, and appreciate the info.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:26 AM

Hello and welcome to the boards.

Here is the web-site with helpful tips and information including how to remove. The different products are listed and their uses for projects. Hope that helps.

http://www.pellonprojects.com/resources/faq/
Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 AM

I made a t-shirt quilt for my graduating senior/cousin. Since she wanted to use it at soccer games, etc., I didn't want it to be heavy. So, I didn't use batting. Just luxurious minky fabric on back, which I folded to front to make a fuzzy "frame" binding. I always use light Pellon interfacing to keep shirts from stretching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	preslie sr.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	625323