Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Personal "inviolable rules" >

Personal "inviolable rules"

Personal "inviolable rules"

Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm afraid I routinely break many of the rules others have set for themselves, and I'm not at all ashamed of it. (Perhaps I should be?)

I only buy pressure sensitive rotary cutters, so they close on their own.
I fall out of love with almost every quilt somewhere during the construction process, but if I discontinued work on it I wouldn't have the chance to fall back in love again. Sometimes that happens before the quilt is finished, sometimes a year later, but it has always happened.
I have sewn over pins many times, and seldom had a bad result. I don't try to do so, but it happens.
I only unplug the machines when I'm expecting a thunderstorm, or when I will be away for an extended period of time. I try to remember to at least turn them off, but sometimes I forget.
I leave it to the auto-shut-off feature of the iron most of the time.
I prefer to keep my workspace neat, but it often isn't. While sewing, I have no problem throwing loose threads and tiny scraps on the floor. They get picked up eventually.
Points are supposed to match, and I try to see that they do, but a little deviation is acceptable.

I do pre-wash, except for pre-cuts, and I do press seams. I do check the size of the units as the block/quilt progresses and adjust my seam allowance as necessary. And if I find that I'm making too many mistakes, I stop for the day.
This is me pretty much. I guess I never thought of them as "rules". I just figured this is how I do it...especially the auto shut-off part, and the throwing the threads and scraps on the floor part!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 PM

The one rule that comes to mind is on rotary cutters, they must be closed if they aren't in your hand cutting and I will chastise anyone I see leaving one open and remind them to keep it closed not only for their safety but the safety of everyone around
them. There probably are some others in my life, but are not nearly as important as the one for the cutters. I can live with most
anything else, but not an open cutter.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:18 AM

Almost forgot....I do have one unbreakable rule for one dear quilting friend who sometimes comes to my house to quilt sew and generally have a good time. She is not allowed to iron or press anything at my house without supervision. She has one of the Oliso irons and I do not. After burning two covers to my ironing board, and nearly started a small fire (I wasn't paying attention to what she was doing), We both agreed to my new rule for her. We laugh about it and she always advises "I am using the iron now". We all have to keep a sharp eye on her at retreats and classes too.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:48 AM

I never thought of them as "rules", maybe guidelines. Trim threads as you quilt-don't wait til end. If I have to leave my sewing machine area, no matter how long or short, I turn off the light. My iron is plugged into a power strip on the floor so that I can turn it off and on with my toe! If I start making mistakes, I need to take a break. My fabric is "top shelf" because my time is priceless!
Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

"Guidelines" would have been a better word than "Rules"
Old 05-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
She has one of the Oliso irons and I do not. After burning two covers to my ironing board, and nearly started a small fire .
Ugh that's why I don't like those Oliso irons. One of the places we go for retreats provides the irons, and they're *all* Oliso. After 5 days of using it, I went home and scorched my ironing board cover. Now I bring my own iron to that retreat location.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:36 AM

I only started quilting in 2018 so still fairly new;
1) no repeats - you can't learn if you keep doing the same thing.
2) don't point out my mistakes. The viewer usually doesn't see them and the quilt police are too polite.
3) be extra careful with new rotary blades. Don't bleed on the fabric.
4) prewash flannel
Old 05-31-2020, 02:32 AM

Ditto with the Oliso irons. The shop I go to for a quilting day every Tuesday (in normal times) has one and I invariably forget when I get home and have to catch myself so I don't burn anything.

Watson
Old 05-31-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
The only in my sewing room is a Safety rule. Rotary cutters are Never to be laid down open. I ever catch someone setting the cutter down with the blade exposed they are no longer allowed to touch them- they have to from then on use scissors- and, no one under 18 gets to use a rotary cutter- and no one under 15 gets to use the iron. It’s all fun till someone gets hurt- safety comes first. No food in the sewing room, nothing other than water to drink.
I have to agree on the rotary cutter. But I have been ironing since junior high. I think it depends on the kid.