Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 04-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

Actually the Amazon link gives a "Not Found" page, however, I think this page will - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aniline+d...lcohol+soluble

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
I'm only seeing water soluble black or alcohol soluble any other colour but black. Not sure if I'm missing something? Ultimately though even if I am, I'm in Canada and they won't ship it to me right now because of the pandemic *sigh*
Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 AM

What a difference between start and finish! Beautiful job! I've been reading all I can before I try and restore a machine and some say to absolutely use no water...but you do successfully. Is it a matter of preference? Experience?
Old 06-04-2020, 02:59 PM

It is a matter of experience as you said. I use only water and dish soap by making a stiff foam and wipe down the machine to remove dust and dust on the surface. Not enough water to hurt the decal but you can stay away from them if you are unsure. Then proceed with the tut. This system really works if you take your time.
Glenn
Old 08-08-2020, 02:59 AM

Just had to give a big thank you to Glenn and Miriam for all the patience they have shown in sharing these techniques with us! Never thought I would go down this road, but I saw Chaly's restoration on another site and was over the moon with her result. Have been reading and rereading these posts to glean as much info as I can get into my brain! Did one machine on my deck last month when the weather was perfect. Still in the final curing phase in the house now. Did a lot more clear coat than linseed oil proportions, but it worked out pretty well. My husband was impressed! Thank you again for sharing your expertise with the rest of us!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2020 at 03:23 AM. Reason: PM
Old 08-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Hi Glenn, newbie here and thanks very much for the instructions. I'm very keen to try this for my old singer handcrank that i've inherited, have cleaned it thoroughly with smo to the best that i can. I'm of course, terrified to ruin the machine, so forgive me asking silly questions. first, use denatured alchol and linseed (as per your earlier instructions above) and WORK ALL OVER THE MACHINE in circular motions, is that right? How many times and how long? is this process also known as french polishing? I tried to do research on youtube and there was no mention of linseed oil? I just want to be sure that i fully understand the whole process before embarking on it. Thanks very very much for your advice.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Yes you are right. Linseed oil and denatured alcohol and applied as directed will smooth out the finish and remove the brown color of aged shellac. Stay away from the decals for the alcohol will silver them. It will take several times to make a smooth surface and then to same using shellac and linseed oil as directed will build up the finish. This is called French polishing. I recommend you practice on an old machine first to get the hang of this. Go slow but have fun.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:22 AM

Thanks very much Glenn. Great advice, I'm on the prowl for a cheap machine to test the french polishing before touching my grand dame. Problem is that here in Australia, even a totally rusted piece of junk without the machinery has a min asking price from $50 upwards,Plus, I need to get all my stuffs ready just in case we go into lockdown again (which is looking very likely)
Cheers
Old 09-06-2020, 05:08 AM

Hi Glenn, Following from my response, I got my hands on an old machine to try the french polishing. it is in a really sad state. Parts of the shellac surface is peeling (see image)and showing the cast iron body. Would french polishing 'cover' over these patches? BTW, do you have any idea what machine this is, the treadle has the word VALLEY and there is a very faint residual print of 'THE VALLEY R G' on the body which is where the chipped japaning is. There is a serial number K1833482 under the base. Thanks much
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200904_122919.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	681.7 KB
ID:	627644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200904_134744.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	627645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200904_122841.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	627646  

Last edited by Lizz1; 09-06-2020 at 05:10 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 AM

Yes lots of french polishing would even out the chips but will take time. I don't know what the machine is but it looks like and UK Jones. Not sure..
Old 10-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Gday Glenn
So, I've finally managed to line all my ducks in a row (read...manage to get everything I need for this french polishing adventure)
It's really hard to get the Zinsser shellac so finally, after numerous trips to hardware stores where it is only available in spray can, have opted to mix my own with shellac flakes As per your first post, to ask all the questions before starting. So please forgive my newbie ignorant questions. BTW, I saw the same machine on sale on Facebook and its a Vesta "Valley" Thanks
1. Do i need to wipe away the sewing machine oil first before i start french polishing? I don't have naptha, but using JELL (Aussie equiv of Swarfega, can't get Goop or Gojo) Should I use that to wipe away all traces of SMO first>
2. Is the linseed oil a must? Or can i use SMO in its place?
3. I watched Youtube videos to get a better idea of how to do and they always make a "rubbing pad" with tshirt. Do you recommend that?
4. Also on Youtube, they replenish by opening up the pad to add shellac and alcohol...your thoughts please?
5. How many layers do you recommend?

Apologies for all the questions, but really want to understand the whole process in my head before i dive in.
Grateful thanks for your time and advice.
Cheers